{26} hydra is trying to smoke you out- literally

IT TOOK A MOMENT for Peter to reorient himself and blink back the sudden smoke that stung his eyes. It was joined by the intense smell of burning and his spider sense going haywire.

Carefully, he shifted around so that he could see Wanda's face.

A look of fear had frozen her features, leaving her eyes wide open and unfocussed, as though she were seeing something that wasn't there. From their close positions, Peter could feel her heart beating wildly against his own chest; he scrambled for her hand that was cradled to her chest and forced it to uncurl itself from the fist it had locked into. "Wanda-"

Peter flinched from the abrupt round of bullets making contact with the wall over their heads. Dust and debris rained down on them as he pressed himself closer to the girl.

"Whatever you're seeing Wanda it isn't real." He promised, talking directly into her ear.

An explosion almost drowned out his words and bits of the kitchen door flew towards them- a cold wave engulfed Peter despite the sweat that clung to his skin. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end and his mouth ran dry; he screwed his eyes shut and pushed away the rising panic to listen beyond the barrage of bullets and the crackling fires around them. Faint footsteps. Relief washed through Peter's system when he recognised the familiar footfalls to be Harley and Barney.

He leaned back and pulled Wanda further into his chest; his arms encircled protectively around her shaking frame as he took a moment to simply breathe. "I got you. It's okay." He soothed.

"Pietro?" She whispered, voice small and hoarse. Peter stiffened.

Realisation dawned on the teenager as he swallowed thickly, cursing everyone and everything that related to Hydra. "Yeah, it's me." He tightened his hold on her unconsciously and drew in a ragged breath as guilt clawed at his insides. "We're getting out, remember?"

"But the bomb-" Wanda let out a shriek as another round of bullets ripped past them.

"Just close your eyes." Peter soothed; she tucked her face into his neck. "It'll be okay."

Slowly, Peter crept to the edge of the couch and peeked out. His body was still hunched as a human shield of Wanda's body as she continued to clutch onto him despite his movements. There were sharp, fluorescent torch lights that only just managed to cut through the smoke that Peter was struggling not to inhale- his spider sense urgently screamed at him to move, and he only just got out of the way when the front door crashed to the floor.

"Shit!" Peter hissed when he felt a hand grab a hold of his hair and yank him backwards.

Out of instinct, Peter threw Wanda free from his arms and sent her sprawling out across the kitchen floor. Her head smacked harshly against the cupboard before she fell limp.

"Wanda!" He shouted; teeth clenched together as he thrust the soldier forward and over his shoulder. The body dropped in front of the teen and Peter pointed the gun that Natasha had given him, (he'd been carrying it around all day). He pressed the trigger. The sound was lost in the other bullets ricocheting through the farmhouse at rapid speeds.

He rushed over and dropped down to his knees beside Wanda, carefully tucking back her hair and checking for any signs of a head wound when heavy breathing sounded over his shoulder.

Growling at being interrupted, Peter jumped back to his feet in time to dodge an ill attempt at a punch, though the sudden impact of a body sent Peter stumbling backwards and into the cupboards. The gun dropped from his hand and disappeared into the thick smoke that was steadily building. His heart jolted at the loss of not just the weapon but his only reminder of Natasha- there was a loud cracking noise as Peter headbutted the man with everything he had and reached blindly around for another weapon. His fingers wrapped around the cool hilt of a knife from the block he had seen earlier.