{9} everything is going to be okay so breathe

CLOUDS BLANKETED THE SKY as Peter sat on the edge of the roof, staring down at the city below and looking up at the few stars that had managed to creep through.

He'd woken up almost an hour ago, his body shaking and sweating. The dream had been filled with nothing but darkness for miles and a deafening silence that Peter would swear was trying to suffocate him. It was accompanied by the sickening feeling of falling that tugged relentlessly at his body, threatening to keep pulling him down and down but never quite letting him hit the bottom- then he'd woken up. Peter decided at some point on his journey to the rooftop, that he dreamt of death so often that it was beginning to feel much more like a memory than anything else.

Drawing in a small, heavy breath, Peter's head dropped down to his chest.

For a few moments he looked down at his hands that had fallen limp in his lap. They were starting to go cold from the night air and in the back of his mind Peter knew he should move before he couldn't thermoregulate back to a safe temperature- but he couldn't find the energy.

As the thought filtered through his brain, an unfamiliar warmth spread from his fingertips.

Like a tingling sensation that was beginning to overtake his entire hand. Peter frowned at the strange feeling when blue wisps of something- he wasn't sure what- began to swirl around in his palm.

Panic shot through Peter like a bullet as his chest rose and fell erratically. His body stiffened on instinct, afraid to so much as move, except the power only strengthened- pulsed as if it was trying to warn off non-existent dangers. Peter's heart pounded a little harder but his fear dwindled.

His tongue dashed across his lips as he squeezed his eyes shut and desperately willed it away.

"Can't sleep?"

A short, sharp breath hit the back of Peter's throat as the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. His head whipped around to face the direction the voice had originated from; Wanda was making her way towards him in her pyjamas, looking just as tired as Peter suddenly felt. Like a wall of exhaustion had crashed into him. Drowsily, Peter blinked a few times as he caught sight of hands curled in his lap and not glowing- relief flowed through him. He shifted his hands so that he was sitting on them to hide the trembling, "Something like that."

Uncertainly, Wanda hovered behind his shoulder before she seemed to pluck up the courage, "I want to say thank you." she announced, lowering herself so that she could sit beside him on the ledge.

Her movements were slow, giving Peter the time to object to her company. He simply turned back to look out over the entirety of New York as she settled. "For what?" he asked finally.

"For the bracelet."

Peter's eyes jumped from the view ahead of him to Wanda's wrist. He was pleasantly surprised to see the leather strip that was intertwined with red and blue fabric sitting against her skin in a stark contrast to her pale complexion. It was joined together by a small, silver 'M' that glinted.

"Oh." He breathed, feeling his cheeks flare pink. "You're, uh, welcome."

Nodding slightly to herself, Wanda smiled down at the accessory as she pulled her arm back and fiddled unconsciously with the charm, her features smoothing into something resembling contentment. It was a rare expression for the girl since she always looked like she was remembering something painful- Peter saw the same look on his own face sometimes. It had been especially apparent in his early days of living with the avengers but had been slowly becoming less common.

"Why are you up so late?" She asked, her voice just above a whisper.

He'd didn't respond for a few seconds. Peter couldn't tear his eyes away from his hands, his mind replaying the luminous glow; suddenly the urge to tell somebody increased tenfold. The teen didn't know whether it was because he was sleep deprived or if it was the cover of darkness and being alone with Wanda on the rooftop or if he had finally had enough- but his gaze flicked up tentatively to meet her eyes. She was already staring him down with a curious expression.