CHAPTER 25: Feel Again

Start from the beginning

She closed her eyes and deeply breathed. “I’m sorry.” She opened her eyes and smiled at me. It was still the same smile back in the apartment; sad and heartbreaking. “I promise to enjoy this day without thinking about him. I promise to forget all of the burdens I’m carrying and I will just enjoy this day,” she paused. “with you.”

“A-are you sure? I mean, you don’t have to if you really don’t like. I’ll understand.”

She shook her head. “Since we saw each other again, we haven’t bonded together. I think, today is the perfect time. We need to catch up about a lot of things.” She smiled half-heartedly. “So, let’s go?”

I smiled. “Okay. C’mon.” She was about to open the car door when I realized something. “No.” I held her arm.

“Huh?”

“Don’t open it. Wait.” I went out of the car and went on the side of the car where she is sitting and opened the car door for her. I offered my hand at her and smiled. “May I hold your hand?” She deeply breathed and smiled before placing her hand on top of my palm.

She wore her Raybans and combed her hair using her other hand. As long as she stepped out of the car, everyone’s eyes on the car park were on us. I squeezed her hand and let go of it. She looked up on me. “Why?”

I leaned down on her ear a little so people who are close to us wouldn’t hear. “People’s eyes are on us.”

She looked around then she held my hand. I was caught off guard. “Let them stare. I don’t care.”

“But—“

“Greyson and I are over if that’s what you’re worrying about.” She said quietly but just enough for me to hear. “So no one would get hurt if ever they took pictures of us holding hands. Besides,” she raised our hands. “It isn’t intertwined. It’s just a friendly holding hands. No one would get mad. Unless, you have a girlfriend?”

I shook my head. “I don’t have one.”

“Then, that’s it. Let’s go and don’t mind them.”

So, like what she said, I didn’t mind the people staring at us and those people who are taking pictures. We kept walking hand in hand while looking around. Santa Monica Pier doesn’t have lots of tourists today so it’s nice to walk around because it’s not crowded. We stayed silent while walking and I’m fine with that. As long as I’m with her today and I’m holding her hand, I’m happy.

Then all of a sudden she stopped from walking. She looked up to me. “Where to?”

“Hmmm. I dunno. Where do you wanna go?”

“Arcade?” She suggested.

I smiled. “Okay. Then maybe after we could go to the ocean front walk then we could pay a visit to the historic carousel.” I suggested.

“Ocean front walk! There are restaurants there.”

I nodded. “Yeah, and maybe we could take out some food and then eat by the beach and watch sunset together.” I said the three last words quietly but just enough for her to hear.

She smiled. “That’s a great idea. I miss watching sunset. I haven’t watched sunset since…” She bit her lip and looked down. “Since Greyson took me on a date by the beach on our ninth month.” I squeezed her hand because she might cry. She shook her head then she looked up to me. “I’m sorry about that.”

“It’s okay YN. I understand.”

She heaved out a heavy sigh. “Let’s get going then. I wanna play to forget everything.” She grinned—a fake one. Then she started walking, dragging me.