Dinner Conversations

*Rowan's POV*

I walked down the hall to the dining room, and Ashton followed behind me. "Don't be nervous, Ashton. My family with love you!" I reassured him. "I'm not nervous" He lied. "Okay sure whatever you say big guy." I giggled. He rolled his eyes and took a seat next to me. 

My mother walked into the dining room and put a pan of turkey at the center of the table, while Tyler brought in the mashed potatoes. "Hello Ashton how are you?" My mom said, walking back into the kitchen. "Im good, thank you." He responded, when my mom came back in with another bowl. 

I had to hold myself back from cracking up and his attempts to sound all polite. My dad came downstairs and sat at the head of the table. "Who's this, Rowan?" He asked, looking at Ashton. "Daddy, this is my boyfriend Ashton." I said, trying to sound cute and innocent. "Boyfriend?" He questioned. I nodded. "Hi, i'm Ashton Irwin." Ashton said, standing up and shaking my dad's hand. He smiled at Ashton and they both sat back down.

"Go ahead and help yourselves everybody!" My mom said. Tyler instantly went in for the mashed potatoes while the rest of us passed the dishes around like civilized people. "So tell us a little bit about yourself, son" My dad said to  Ashton. "How did you meet my daughter?" "Well, I met her at school. We knew each other but we didn't really talk and then by chance she was my biology tutor, but we really grew close over the summer." Ashton answered. 

"So what are your grades like? How are you in school?" My dad asked. "He passed his exams with high B's, didn't you Ash?" I said, saving him from explaining how he almost failed two classes. Ashton nodded. "You get along with the other people at school well?" My mom asked. "Yes" Ashton said quickly. Tyler glared at him.

"So why do you need a private tutor?" My dad said, staring down Ashton. "Ashton has a hard time comprehending materials." I said for him. "Lots of kids do, but he's doing really well." "I believe I was asking Ashton" My dad snapped. "I uh, just needed some help I guess." Ashton mumbled. "What was that?" My dad said. "I'm sorry I couldn't hear you."

"Basically what Rowan said I guess I just didn't get what was going on in class." Ashton replied hesitantly. "I see. So you and Rowan are dating I assume?" My dad asked us. We both nodded. "Without permission, Rowan? You know the boyfriend rule." My dad said to me. "Yes Dad. But Ashton is a really great guy! He's an amazing person." I defended. My dad said that I wasn't allowed to date a boy until he interviewed the boy and approved of him. Tyler choked on his water.

"Do you have something to say Tyler?"My mom chimed in. I looked at Tyler with pleading eyes. I knew he had a few things he wanted to say about Ashton. "No" he mumbled with a 'you owe me' look on his face. "Ashton, I don't want you dating my daughter right now." My dad concluded. I stood up abruptly. "Dad no! You barely even know him just give him a chance!" I shouted. "Rowan Hallie Evans sit down!" He shouted back. "Dad no! You can't do this! He didn't do anything wrong."

"I don't trust him I can tell he's going to hurt my little girl!" He snapped. I groaned loudly and ran up to my room. "Ashton sweetie I think you should go now." My mom said nicely. 

*Ashton's POV*

I walked down the hall to the dining room, and with Rowan in front of me. "Don't be nervous, Ashton. My family with love you!"  she reassured me. "I'm not nervous" I lied. "Okay sure whatever you say big guy." She giggled. I rolled my eyes and took a seat next to her. 

Her mother walked into the dining room and put a pan of turkey at the center of the table, while her brother brought in something else and gave me the death glare. "Hello Ashton how are you?" Her mom said, walking back into the kitchen. "Im good, thank you." I responded, when Her mom came back in with another bowl. 

I had to hold myself back from cracking up at my own  attempts to sound all polite. Her dad came downstairs and sat at the head of the table.  I instantly felt intimidated by him. "Who's this, Rowan?" He asked, looking at right at me. "Daddy, this is my boyfriend Ashton." She said, trying to sound cute and innocent. "Boyfriend?" He questioned. I nodded. "Hi, i'm Ashton Irwin." I said, standing up and shaking my dad's hand.

"Go ahead and help yourselves everybody!" Rowan's  mom said. I patiently sat there waiting for the bowls to be passed around so I didn't seem piggy. "So tell us a little bit about yourself, son" Her dad said. "How did you meet my daughter?" "Well, I met her at school. We knew each other but we didn't really talk and then by chance she was my biology tutor, but we really grew close over the summer." I answered. 

"So what are your grades like? How are you in school?" Her dad asked. "He passed his exams with high B's, didn't you Ash?" Rowan said, trying to help me sound as good as possible. "You get along with the other people at school well?" Her mom asked. "Yes" I said quickly. Tyler glared at me. Wow that kid really held a grudge.

"So why do you need a private tutor?" Her dad asked me. I gulped, not ready for these kinds of questions. "Ashton has a hard time comprehending materials." Rowan answered so I did not have to. "Lots of kids do, but he's doing really well." "I believe I was asking Ashton" Her dad snapped. "I uh, just needed some help I guess." I mumbled. "What was that?" Her dad said. "I'm sorry I couldn't hear you."

"Basically what Rowan said I guess I just didn't get what was going on in class." I replied hesitantly. "I see. So you and Rowan are dating I assume?" Her dad asked us. We both nodded. "Without permission, Rowan? You know the boyfriend rule." Her dad said to her. She looked just as nervous as me now. "Yes Dad. But Ashton is a really great guy! He's an amazing person." She argued. Tyler choked on his water.

"Do you have something to say Tyler?"Her mom chimed in.Rowan looked at Tyler with pleading eyes. "No" he mumbled with a 'you owe me' look on his face. "Ashton, I don't want you dating my daughter right now." Her dad concluded.  What?! Rowan stood up abruptly. "Dad no! You barely even know him just give him a chance!" Rowan shouted. "Rowan Hallie Evans sit down!" He shouted back. "Dad no! You can't do this! He didn't do anything wrong."

"I don't trust him I can tell he's going to hurt my little girl!" He snapped. She groaned loudly and ran up to her room. "Ashton sweetie I think you should go now." Her mom said nicely. I stood up and thanked them before getting in my car to leave