lxvii. leap of faith

SIXTY SEVEN. leap of faith

THEO hadn't received a good night's sleep in a while

For the past month, the group had been camping out in clearings in the forest or rundown buildings that seemed clear enough for the night. The barn was a drastic change, to the eleven-year-old, it seemed more secure. Safer. After all, it did keep them safe from the group of walkers that the raging storm thankfully dealt with. It was now calm outside, and the doors to the rickety barn were clasped shut while three figures of the group remained gone. Maggie Rhee, Sasha Williams, and Adeline Grimes. According to Daryl Dixon, they left in the early morning for the chance to collect their thoughts.

Theo hoped it worked for Addy. She sat quietly at the bottom, her eyes ever so often glancing up to the rafters where a silent Wesley Miller was. He was drawing, and that was about all she could gather by craning her chin to the high space. Everyone in the group had their problems to deal with, so no one was necessarily worried by the fact that the boy hadn't talked to anyone except his brother. And sometimes Adeline. But Theo on the other hand, drowned in the silent concern for her family. Their hope had completely vanished.

She couldn't lie, though, hers was fading away ever so slightly too. But every time she looked at the babbling Judith that sat cradled in her fathers' arms, some of that hope would return to the depths of her mind. The souls of the survivors were awake, silent shuffles and conversations taking place in the corners of the barn. Theo didn't partake in any, she simply sat by Carl and plucked a corner of the stale chocolate granola bar she held. She'd been eating it for a week. Two bites every few days was what she allowed herself to have, and sometimes she'd even find enough wavering generosity to give some to Carl.

And when she looked to her side and found him chowing down on something she couldn't even identify, Theo felt that concern peak in her chest. Snapping off a small piece of the bar, one with a chocolate chip on it, too, she nudged her friends' side and gained his attention. "Eat this," She spoke while sitting the piece on his crossed legs. "There's a chocolate chip."

Carl furrowed her brows at the sight before him, swallowing whatever substance he was eating and looking at the half-eaten Granola bar in her hands. "You still have that?" He questioned in somewhat disbelief but still thankful as he grabbed the piece off of his knee, tossing it into his mouth. And he watched as Theo nodded in confirmation, taking slow bites to the piece she had chipped off for herself. "Yep." She confirmed, her voice muffled slightly by her chewing.

Before he could continue the conversation, the girl looked back up to the rafters before standing up and abandoning the spot she sat in. "Where're you going?" Carl questioned, his eyes following her as she pointed up to the figure above with the other half of the Granola bar in her grasp. "I'll save your seat." He informed, taking his hat off of his head and placing it into the hay-covered spot next to him where she once sat.