xxxviii. return of the dixons

THIRTY EIGHT. return of the dixons

   Adrenaline rushed through her veins, both guilt and anger coursing through her body

Adrenaline rushed through her veins, both guilt and anger coursing through her body. Adeline stood with her back pressed to the door of the guard tower, engulfed in silence and the sound of gunshots ringing out both above and around her. Her hands held onto the rifle strapped around her shoulders, taking in a few deep breaths before sprinting up the stairs of the tower to provide her family coverage from above.

When the first shot rang out, the one that killed Axel, Adeline knew instantly whose gun the bullet came from. The Governors. She didn't have to look, or guess for that matter - because she knew that it was meant for her instead of the prisoner she had just grown to tolerate and like. Maybe it was her consequence that came from biting the man's ear off, or maybe it was just because his mind had been lost in the darkness.

Adeline failed to give herself enough time to think through why or how she could've prevented it, because the moment her hands wrapped around the metal of the ladder and she pulled herself into the top of the tower - the only thing on her mind was guiding karma it's way across the playing field. She kept herself out of sight from Governors men, carefully opening the door to the balcony after she grabbed the two loaded mags from inside.

Lowering herself onto the grated surface, she felt the cold metal press against the part of her stomach where her shirt had risen. Goosebumps covered her arms, hands trembling as she positioned the rifle in front of her with a shaky breath. The necklace she wore clashed against her pale skin, clamping one eye shut to look into the scope before her.

Over the eight months on the road, the skills she had worked on the most was her pistol and throwing knives. There wasn't much target practice for the rifles, but she hoped that the amount of times Shane and her brother had taken her shooting before the world ended would provide her enough room.

Taking the lives of others wasn't something high on her list, but the moment her open eye landed on a man shooting at her brother, Adeline positioned her sights on the ground around the man's feet and pulled the trigger. In an instant, the bullets that whizzed around him caused his body to fall back - hiding behind a tree which gave Rick the chance to reload and shoot.

Knowing he could handle himself, Adeline released the trigger and hastily moved the rifles scopes over to the line of trucks outside of the fences. Spotting the Governor hide behind one of the doors, she noticed the bandage that wrapped around his ear to his eye as her finger pressed down onto the trigger and sprayed the metal of the truck with bullets.

Anger for what he had done bubbled up inside of her, and the bullets only stopped when there wasn't any left inside the chamber. The small pause of reaching over to grab another magazine gave the men below the opportunity to return fire her way. Bullets grazed the metal of the guard tower, spreading like wildfire against the protective railing she was quick to hide behind.