xxxix. the red handle

THIRTY NINE. the red handle

             THE one thing Adeline failed to receive was sleep

THE one thing Adeline failed to receive was sleep. After the attack, she had been told by her brother to take the first night watch up in the guard tower. She avoided even looking at Daryl Dixon upon his return, mostly because she had no clue what she wanted to say to him. The widow understood every reason why he left, but for some reason a part of her felt abandoned when he did.

Leaning against the guard rails of the tower, her umber colored eyes fell upon the walkers that littered the once clear courtyard. Yet another thing taken away from them by the Governor. The thought of his existence lead her shifting uncomfortably and pull away from the railing just in time to spot a familiar figure enter the inside.

"Adeline?" The soft voice of Carol broke through the midnight air, her skinny arms wrapped around her petite frame. The woman opened the door to the balcony, her eyes landing upon Adeline who had just turned around.

"Hey," The widow smiled softly, tucking her brown hair behind her ears as she spoke. "You doing okay?" She questioned, knowing Carol had been the one to grow closest to Axel out of anybody else in the group.

"We're losing too many of our own." Carol spoke, moving to lean against the raining beside Adeline. Pressing her elbows against the metal, she looked down at the stalker filled courtyard - "Too many good people."

"All over nothing." Adeline added, the guard rail digging into her back as her eyes fell to her boots; a splatter of Axels blood decorticating the black leather.

Carol nodded in agreement, turning her head to look at the lost look looming in the widows eyes. "Have you talked to him yet?" She questioned, gaining her attention.

Adeline knitted her brows, avoiding the woman's stare as she let out a deep sigh - "Haven't gotten the chance." She answered reluctantly, lifting her head to look at Carol.

A few silent seconds passed before the shorthaired woman smiled before patting the guard rail. "Go." Carol instructed, "I came to relieve you anyways. You push yourself too hard, Adeline. You deserve a break, too."

"Do you..." The widow started, feeling her throat tighten and her eyes sting as she swallowed the words she desperately needed to say- Do you still see Sophia?

"Never mind." Adeline faked a smile, pushing off of the railing and nearing the door into the inside of the guard tower. "Thank you, Carol." She spoke, turning to look at the woman who only nodded with a smile before turning to face the once empty courtyard below them.

Grabbing her pistol off of the desk, Adeline slid the weapon into its holster before her eyes fell to the familiar police hat that belonged to Shane. Next to it sat a poncho, the two items causing memories to surface in her mind.