IV. What Once Was

CHAPTER FOUR ━━ WHAT ONCE WAS,Season One   :   Episode One of The Walking Dead

Season One : Episode One of The Walking Dead

          When Addy awoke the next morning, her first thought was that she desperately needed to sweep her floors. Her tired eyes laid focused on the wooden boards that made up her living room, body sprawled out against an uncomfortable stack of pillows she made for herself before falling asleep. Because she wouldn't dare step foot into her bedroom alone again. The world had ended and her husband was gone. She needed to remind herself of that.

          Thankfully enough it all came back to her in a matter of seconds. Now, the last thought on her mind was the dust and clutter that gathered on her floors over time. Instead, she rubbed her face with her dry hands and slid out from underneath the thin cover. Morgan still laid sound asleep next to Duane, which surprised her. But then her eyes caught sight of her brother, Rick, who sat against the floor next to the bow window of her living room.

          It was boarded with blankets, but he managed to peak out from behind the thick grey cover to look out onto the street.

          "Did you sleep?" She made her presence clear, voice quiet and sure to not wake the sleeping father and son that laid just a few feet away.

          Rick flinched silently at the sound of her voice, his eyes snapping towards her. Relief quickly flooded onto his features, his heart rate calming at the sight of his sister who moved to sit cross legged beside him. "Barely any." He answered, turning back to the window.

         "Hard to when those things are out there."

          "You get used to it." Adeline assured instinctively, laying her head against the blanket and causing it to snap shut on her brothers finger. "Trust me, it's better not to look at them." She added, the smallest hint of a smile lacing around her lips when her brother chose to meet her eyes with his furrowed brows.

          "I can't imagine what you've━━"

          "You don't have to do that."

          The sister was quick with her words. The sympathetic tone that lingered in her twins voice was enough to make her stomach churn. Being vulnerable with Rick wasn't something she liked to do. Growing up, he was always the fighter. But she was two steps behind him every time━━ making sure that he was okay. That he stayed safe and out of harms way. That felt like her job.

          Ricks eyes softened. "Addy..." He started, voice careful. "We have to find our family. Carl, Lori, Shane... We have to."