lxiii. the scavenge

SIXTY THREE. the scavenge

 the scavenge

Eleven days. Adeline Grimes always believed that time moved faster than it was supposed to, until now. Beth was gone. Without being given the chance to see her sister again. And the widow couldn't erase the screams that left Maggie Rhee's lips the second she saw the unmoving body of Beth curled within the arms of Daryl Dixon. It haunted her. Every time she closed her eyes in attempt to gain some rest, the dark memories of everyone they had lost swarmed like a busy bee hive. They never left.

Before, Adeline was thankful for the reminder of who had left an impact on her life. But, things changed... and she began loathing the constant reminder of the souls she couldn't save. The blood that crawled beneath her fingertips didn't help, because when her nearly empty eyes laid upon the sight ━━ it was as if it happened all over again. Hershel. Lizzie. Beth. The deep end grew sinisterly closer to the widow, awaiting patiently for one more harsh shove.

One that would send her over the edge.

The goal they once held carefully became shattered ━━ Glenn and Maggie's return to the group destroying their last ounce of hope for the world. Eugene Porter was supposed to know the cure, he was meant to put an end to it all. But, he lied. There was no cure. Only survival and keeping the people you love alive. And it grew harder every day for the group to maintain that promise. They held onto the last thing that Beth Greene had promised the two newly joined brothers ━━ getting them back to their home.

531 miles away from the infected city of Atlanta, Georgia.

Adeline was convinced that it was a pipe dream. She didn't voice her thoughts, though. She found herself becoming more distant, from everyone. There were times when she laid awake at night, wishing they were back on the farm ━━ when things were simple. When she still had Shane to help her fall asleep. Ever since losing him, her sleeping patterns were nothing but erratic and messy. If it wasn't the nightmares that woke her, it was the missing presence of warm arms wrapped around her securely.

But every-time those thoughts even dared to enter her mind, Adeline would begin the process of pushing them away. They began their travel to Noah and Wesley's community the day after the hospital ━━ and driving one of the vehicles gave the widow an excuse to escape her thoughts. Their was a noticeable change within every soul of the group as the hope they clung to began to fade away without a whisper of goodbye. It wasn't the same.

And Adeline made herself believe that it never would be.

The sun shined harshly against her slightly burnt skin, blood crusted underneath the skin of her fingernails. She sat crouched, hand pressed against the moist dirt, focused eyes glued to what once remained of a stream. No water. A sigh fell from Adelines chapped lips, the plastic material of the water bottle crushing within her grasp before she angrily slammed it to the ground.