🏵️ Chapter 16🏵️: The royal interview.

Start from the beginning

After slapping me, Dure walked out on me in anger this morning. His face showed no sign of remorse but I really don't know if it was because he was drunk or because he truly hated me.

  I've never been so emotionally confused in my life. I mean, How can someone who loves me so much give me such a cold look?

  Or was I over thinking?

  "Your highness, I'm done" I heard Ciara say and I opened my eyes slowly. I couldn't recognize myself in the mirror. 

  "Do you like it?" Her nervous voice cut through my admiration.

  "I love it, Ciara. Where did you learn to be this good?"

"It's nothing, your highness. It's nothing, really". She said shyly but still not smiling.

  "Wow, you're so good with this, Ciara. I mean, I almost couldn't recognize myself but I'm still recognizable at the same time".  I told her, as I examined my face in the mirror the more.  I couldn't see a trace of the hand print Dure imprinted on my face.

  "My mother was abused by my father. Anytime grandmother comes, I always helped her to conceal the bruises. Maybe that's why I'm this good". She said.

  I looked at her face, and I could see the glistening tears rolling down her face.

  "What of your mother?" I asked her.

  "Gone. She died three years back". Ciara replied and I felt heartbroken for her. It felt like I lost my grandmother again.

I sighed and turned to Ciara "Is that why you're overly worried about my face?" I asked her.

Her tear filled eyes met mine and she nodded. I held her hands and tightened it a little.

"Ciara, I promise that I'm fine. I was just being careless this morning. I'll be more careful next time". I assured her once more, hoping she'd believe me.

  She nodded and wiped her tears with the back of her palm. "Yes, your highness". She replied.

Just then, the door bursted open and in came Mary. 

  "Princess, your interview is in fourty-five minutes. I do hope you're dres... Princess!"

"We're here Mary. Don't get yourself too worked up, her highness just needed a little make up". Ciara replied Mary before walking out the room.  

"Wait for me outside, Mary. I just need to wear my gown, then I'm good to go". I ordered Mary.

Mary didn't burge from her spot. She just stood there and stared at me.

"I'm glad you've found me as a new set of series to watch". I said and that seemed to do the trick.

"Oh my goodness! Princess, you look more gorgeous!" Mary complemented.

"Gorgeous? In a bathrobe?!"

"No your highness, not that, I mean, yes but no but like yeah, yes but-"

"I understand you Mary. Do leave the room so I can get dressed" I ordered her again, this time she obeyed but due to over staring, she hit her head on the door before finally closing the door behind her.

_______________________✍️

  "You're very welcome, your highness. Our sincere apologies that we didn't send people to greet you at the entrance. Do forgive us". Said the Manager, with his employees as they all gave a little bow.

I didn't reply them, I just walked into the waiting elevator and pressed the last floor number and before I knew it, I was on my way to the last floor of the building.