♪ Best Be On My Way Out ♪ {19}

Start from the beginning

Exhibit A: I want to join the tournament. Instead, I remember my psychotic step-father would never sign the form.

Exhibit B: I get the form signed and handed in. Yet, an important person connected with Infinite's competition discovers that I might just be a fraud. And then I'll be kicked out of the contest for sure.

Hell, the contest hasn't even started yet. What's next? We fail the auditions? Narrowing my eyes, I inconspicuously knock on the wooden part of my desk.

As I frowned at my superstitious method, something light hit the back of my head. A crumpled up ball of paper landed on the top of my desk, and I picked it up curiously, glancing up to see whoever had thrown in. I was met with Olivia's emotionless gaze as her eyes flickered down to the ball in my hands.

Making sure the Grinch wasn't looking, I snuck the paper under my desk and unwraveled it as quietly as I could. But when I saw the neatly scrawled words staring back at me, I felt myself sink into my worries even more.

We thought you were our friend. Instead it turns out you're a fake.

I glanced back up, but Olivia had already turned around to "pay attention" to the lesson.

If only she knew how true her statement was.

--

"Lacey!" Spinning around to see whoever had called my name, I ignored the grumbles as students switched paths to avoid running into me. The person who yelled for me was Xander, and I could tell it was him by the way he was bounding towards me and his ridiculous choice in hair coloring products.

Offering a grunt, I leaned against the set of lockers behind me and waited for him to reach me. "What's up?"

"I just saw Drake and he said we were meeting in the music room next period. Said something about audition information?" He recited as soon as he got near, fixing his bag strap.

"Well, it is our study hall. We could just skip." I shrugged, analyzing the way he was acting. Nothing was off, and he didn't seem angry. At least that's one person who didn't hate me. But why wouldn't Carter or Olivia tell him? Did the Twins know too?

"True. Come on, I'll walk you."

"I don't need an escort. Who am I? The princess of Narnia?" I scoffed but he just rolled his eyes and started off towards the music wing. I could do nothing but fall into step beside him and follow.

"So... What do you think?" Xander asked quietly after a moment of walking in silence.

"Well, you could use a little bit more meat in your chicken legs- oh, don't forget to shave the jungle under your arms- and I guess your hair could-"

"Not about me," Xander interrupted, but subconsciously glanced at his arms. "I mean about the whole Mike ordeal."

Hesitating, I murmured slowly, "Well, he hasn't said anything yet. Don't you think we would've gotten a call saying how we're eliminated or something?"

"Lace, the conversation didn't even exist until yesterday. He wouldn't have had time to call up the judges and tell them."

"Yeah, but still. He freaking works in the building, he could always tell someone there to pass a message. I bet you a hundred bucks it's Charlene." I muttered, shoving my hands into my pockets. I felt something crumple and I tensed, not even understanding why I kept Olive's hate note. "But really, if he hasn't said anything by now, then maybe he's forgotten?"

"Maybe," Xander said, unconvinced.

"Whatever, we'll just wait a few days then. If something happens, something happens." I spoke nonchalantly, but my stomach churned at the thought. Seeing that we were at the entrance to the music room, I pushed open the doors and walked in.

But I instantly froze. It seemed like Chasing Avenues wasn't the only band in the room.

As soon as her gaze connected with mine, I saw a flitter of surprise before it morphed into hurt and then finally into anger. Carter straightened and unplugged her guitar, nodding to the rest of Within These Cages- Seb, Aislinn, and Austin, who were already packed up- to leave.

"Good job, guys. Remember: report time is five thirty tomorrow." Carter called as the other members of her band left. Her eyes never strayed from mine.

"It's okay guys; they're just finishing." Zac piped up, and I finally noticed that the other members of Chasing Avenues sitting on chairs aligned neatly in front of the cream walls.

"No. We're done." Carter announced, a note of finality in her voice. Her words held a double meaning- as if the practice session wasn't the only thing that was finished. She finished packing up her guitar and slung the case over her back, scooping up her backpack too.

"Hey. Good luck at the auditions tomorrow." Gabriel nodded to her, and she shot him a look, an expression mixed with feelings I didn't understand.

"Yeah, you too." Carter nodded, heading in my direction. I narrowed my eyes as she purposely shoved past me. And before she left, I heard her whisper menacingly into my ear. "You're going to need it."

Then she was out the door.

"Anyway," Gabriel cut in, stealing my attention away from the door. He motioned for me and Xander to join their group circle. "We just need to talk about what's going to happen tomorrow. Then we can all head over to lunch."

"Alright, shoot." I gestured for him to continue, falling comfortably onto one of the chairs. He shot me an annoyed look but continued anyway, "The auditions start at six thirty, but we're one of the last bands auditioning. So I'm thinking we'll regroup at the main entrance to Infinity at say, seven-ish? We can go over our game plan then too. It's going to be huge, I heard. Apparently, they're starting to film the competition right from the auditions. So, try not to worry too much about the cameras shining in your faces. Drake, wanna add anything?"

"Yeah," Drake nodded, shifting in his seat so that the chair was backwards yet he was sitting forwards. "Don't panic. Simple as that. It's going to be a fairly large crowd, if you count the rest of the participants in Washington state coming to audition, and the judges too. Try not to choke."

"Helpful." I muttered under my breath but took out Rev and started a slow, quiet beat. Something to calm me down from all my anxieties. It didn't occur to me how huge the auditions were, and now I needed to add that to the list of worries currently multiplying eggs in my brain.

"Anyway, there's one more rehearsal for Riot today after school at Drake's place." Zac announced, clapping his hands and standing up. "And then, it's our moment to shine."

"Chasing Avenues on three?" Drake grinned, moving his hand out into the center of our huddle. As cliche as it was, I saw Gabriel, Zac, and Xander place their hands on top of his.

"What are you waiting for, Carson?" Xander teased, jerking his chin towards the pile of extremities. I bit my lower lip.

I was reluctant, yes, as much as I wanted to join in on their excitement for the future. It didn't seem right for me to take part in this when I wasn't even as dedicated as the rest of the band. I only wanted to leave without leaving behind any evidence, damn it. Oh, why hello guilt. Shaking my head, I chanted to myself silently, It will all be worth it in the end. My hand found its way tot he top of the pile.

"Chasing Avenues!" They all cried out cheerfully and I managed a small twitch of the lips.

"Now come on, let's get some grub. Or else Drake's going to devour that chair." Zac laughed, reaching down to get his backpack.

Drake rolled his eyes, "Fuck, Zac. I have better taste than that. You of all people should know I would go for the podium first. Mmm, mahagony."

"Shut up." Gabriel chuckled and ruffled Drake's hair. "Let's just get to lunch."

--

New chapter, finally. Stupid filler chapters. BUT GUESS WHAT GUYS? FALL ABOUT BOY IS BACK. THEY'RE BACK FROM THEIR FREAKING HIATUS. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OF A HAPPY FUCKER I AM RIGHT NOW? Their new song is on the side. This chapter is dedicated to DreamersWorld for making me a kick-ass story ad. Picture: Rock and Roll, baby. In celebration of FOB's new album, "Save Rock & Roll."

Stay lovely,
Isabelle