Chapter 2: ⓜⓐⓡⓘⓝⓐ

Dedicated to freyjasaurusrex, my Wattpad and real life bestie :)

Chapter 2: Marina

     "Marina." Thor approached me with an expressionless look on his face.

     He glanced around the room. Only about a fifth of the pack was here, and yet the room was still full with forty odd people. The most important forty. Including my future mate.

     "Marina, your new mate has chosen you himself." He turned fully to the audience. "Allow me to invite forward Holland."

     Holland. Holland. Holland? They expected me to be Holland's mate. Oh no. Oh no, this couldn't be happening. Would pass out. Everything going fuzzy. I reminded myself to breath, as Holland bounded forward, full of huge grins and laughter.

     I heard whooping and cheering from the crowd and forced a smile. My eyes sought out Rayne and she looked at me sympathetically. Then I looked at my mum and dad, who were over the moon. Mum even had tears in her eyes.

     Someone had grabbed my hand and I looked up to find Thor also held Holland's hand. He placed our two hands together and let go. I was holding Holland's hand. My palms were sweaty. Holland smiled genuinely at me and led me back into the crowd. He sat down in his seat, and just as I was about to let go of his hand and find my own seat next to Rayne, he pulled me onto his lap. I let out a surprised sound and heard Holland chuckling softly in my ear.

     Another girl walked out and soon had a mate. She, however, appeared to be happy about it. I vaguely remembered them as two socially awkward outcasts who shared a love for science. Charlotte and John, I believed their names to be. Two ordinary names for two ordinary people.

     "You'll move to my place soon, right?" Holland whispered in my ear.

     No.

    I hadn't thought. I knew I was an adult, as of yesterday, but to move into an almost stranger's house?

     "I don't know," I replied.

     "We have to finish the mating ritual," he said, and I swore he tightened his grip around my waist. I tried not to shudder.

     "...So you'll all be glad to hear that the McHarries clan pack will be joining us after all!" I heard Thor finish. I mentally smacked myself on the head for not listening. Anything about the Ball was important if it meant meeting my true mate.

     The whole room was given permission to go at once, so everyone left the library in a slight state of disarray. Chairs, which had been in neat rows, were now scattered in an unordered fashion.

     Holland instantly took my hand in his and walked out the house looking like the cat who got the cream. I stiffened and looked around for Rayne, but she was nowhere to be seen. I sighed.

     "Hey, relax," Holland said, looking at me.

     I sighed and tried to loosen up.

     "You didn't answer my question from earlier," he continued. He stopped in the doorway and looked at me, seriousness in his eyes. "Please move in."

     I couldn't refuse that face. I couldn't refuse the Alpha's son's best friend either. That was sure to result in banishment.

     "Give me a week, okay?" I replied.

     He smiled and carried on walking, pulling me with him.

     Oh, crap. What had I just agreed to?