chapter 138

"You're still mine," Deena whispered to Sam as they were about to kiss.

Sam's fingers ran over her tiny gold necklace, just as Deena did a few hours before. She was laying on her bed with her eyes closed, replaying the almost kiss with Deena in her mind.

She was too close to kissing Deena before her mom walked into the classroom. She didn't want to think about what would happen if her mom saw how close her and Deena were the second before she walked in.

"Samantha!"

She jumped up from her bed when she was startled by her mom's booming voice calling for her. She took a deep breath before she opened her bedroom door.

The way she was trapped in this house once again and the anxiety she felt whenever she heard her mom's footsteps, made her feel like she was the weak and spineless daughter her mother controlled all of Sam's life before this last year.

She had finally kissed Deena and knew in that moment that she had a chance for happiness and it was far away from her mom, it was with Deena. And now Sam was stuck in the never ending cycle of her mom controlling her and shaming her for you she truly is.

Sam went down the stairs to the kitchen looking for her mom, but didn't find her there then she went to the living room. The familiar male voice Sam heard coming from the living room made her heart beat race.

"Hey Sam, nice to see you again," Peter said as he turned to her with a smirk on his face. It's been years since she's talked to him. The last time she did, Deena punched him and Sam grabbed Deena's arm to pull them far away from Peter before it got worse.

"Don't worry, the black eye is gone from that bitch." Peter laughed.

The name he used to call Deena made her angry and she wanted to stand up for Deena, but her mom was right next to him.

"Why are you here?" Sam asked, annoyance clearly in her tone.

"Samantha, enough." Her mom scolded.

"I wanted to take you out again. We didn't finish from the first time so we have a lot of making up to do." Peter's grin still on his face as he moved closer to Sam to put a hand on her shoulder but she shoved it away.

"That's great. This is perfect timing. I told him the situation with steering you in the right direction away from that girl and he will help you, Samantha." Sam's mom clapped her hands in excitement.

"See you at school tomorrow, Sam," Peter winked before going out the door.

Sam's mom was about to speak, but Sam turned to run to her room before she could. Sam fell into her bed.

She was terrified about how she would have to deal with another boy touching and talking to her and her feeling nothing but annoyed and ashamed in returned.

She was also worried how Deena would react when she saw her and Peter together. She could start a fight with him again or believe her and Peter are really seeing each other and it would crush Deena.

Deena went to school early again and waited at the classroom across Sam's locker. She watched and listened carefully, waiting for the right moment to go to Sam, but Olivia never left Sam's side.

She watched Sam in class, as she sat on the far side of the room, but Sam didn't look in her direction. Sam barely looked anywhere but her book on her desk.

Sam seemed more somber today than she's seen Sam be in awhile, even more sad than she was when she was in the hospital.

Now that Deena had some kind of idea what was happening with Sam, it hurt her to see Sam so down and it worried her about Sam's mental state. She was really only truly happy when Sam was.

Deena switched seats with Simon at their lunch table so she could have a better view to watch Sam. Simon took Deena's tray out of her hands so she didn't break a piece off of it again as she watched Sam.

Deena rose to her feet the second Peter sat next to Sam at the lunch table. Simon and Kate turned to look at Sam and what was happening the moment Deena stood with her fists and jaw clenched.

Simon tried to hold Deena back, but Deena broke free of his grip and went towards Peter and Sam.

"Get away from her," Deena stood behind Sam's chair and was looking at Peter.

Peter laughed once he turned to see it was Deena that yelled at him.

"What are you going to do about it?  You really want to risk your daddy's job? No one in Union County will deal with a worthless drunk. He's lucky he even got it."

Sam froze the moment Peter brought up Deena's dad's job. She didn't know how much Peter knew about what her mom, Olivia and Taylor were trying to do. But she knew telling Deena would make it worse and Deena would do more to get Sam out of her mother's control and risk her dad's job.

Deena was taken back by Peter's words. She was more confused on why her dad's job had anything to do with Peter and Sam.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Deena asked then looked to Sam, trying to see any reaction out of her.

"You go near her, then your d*ke ass will be on the streets with your brother and drunk father."

Before Deena could even think of what to reply to Peter, Simon and Kate pulled Deena away and out of the dining room.

Deena kept her eyes on Sam as she was pulled away, and once she saw the look of guilt on Sam's face when she finally turned towards Deena, she realized what Sam's been warning her about all along.