splintering cold

Cameron

The Latest Update on Alessa Klein's Haunting Past

    "Fuck." I sigh, turning my phone off to look at the health center door for the hundredth time.

    After Alessa passed out in the bathroom, security was called, and she was driven to the health center. I tried to follow her inside but the nurse staff quickly shewed me away, reserving me to the rickety wooden bench outside of the health center.

    "That bad?" Questions Marcus.

    Since Marcus helped me get ready for my first date with Alessa, we've become really close. I've gone to a few of his basketball games and I've come to appreciate the dedication he shows to the sport — he's good, there's no denying that.

    I gaze up at him, desperation clouding my vision. "Cameron's girlfriend is giving his 'bad-boy' reputation a run for its money with her party-girl past..." I set my phone onto the bench, trying desperately to follow through on not punching someone.

    "Shit." Clips Marcus, moving to sit beside me.

    "They're tearing her up Marcus and all I can do is sit back and watch it happen." I almost cry out.

    "Did you talk to your PR agent?" Asks Marcus, looking around the relatively empty campus.

    Nothing really happens on Sunday at Harvey Cedar High School, everyone's either doing homework or sleeping in so campus is very quiet. For me, however, things are buzzing. The furious tapping of my foot and scraping of my fingers through my hair is creating a beehive level of noise in my ears.

    "Yeah," I let out an exacerbated chuckle, "she told me I needed to break up with her, so I told her to go to hell."

    Marcus gets back up from the bench and peers through the health center doors. "Good. Cause I can tell you now, that girl in there," Marcus points through the glass door. "She's going to need you. She's never known this life, you do, so if you want to hold onto your humanity, you'll be there for her."

    Marcus turns back towards me, looking heated.

    I reply with a knowing glare and continue, "Fuck Marcus. I'd give my life for that girl. I never wanted this for her, but now that she's here, I want more than anything to show her how amazing this life could be," I rake my hands through my hair. "She deserves better than this."

   Marcus moves towards me, sorrow filling his gaze. "Cam. I know we are new friends, and I know I wasn't a part of your life in California, but maybe you should think about tying up loose ends rather than just trying to run away from them."

    I turn away from Marcus and stand up, replying, "I know. I just don't know how to make Max happy."

    When he fails to respond, I move past Marcus and continue into the health center.

    "How is Alessa?" I ask the concierge.

    "She's awake now if you want to see her." Relents the nurse.

    "How long has she been awake?" I plead, scared I'd been waiting outside for hours without reason.

    "She just woke up." Answers the nurse, slightly annoyed.

    "Oh, thank you so much." I continue, walking towards the hall of care rooms.

    When I reach the first door, another nurse appears at the end of the hallway, pointing towards Alessa's room. I whisper a thank you and push open Alessa's door.
    "Ale?"

    "Come in." Replies Alessa in a small voice.

    When I move past the door, Alessa's frail body, huddled in a blanket, comes into view.

    "Ale." I cry, moving to take Alessa into my arms.

    When my arms settle around her body, the usual warmth that radiates off of her body is void, replaced with a splintering cold.

    "Cam." My nickname runs out of her mouth like water from a rusty pipe.

    "Alessa. Don't. I'm here for you, we have each other, we'll get through this, I know we will." I plead with her, my words coming out in a rushed tone.

    "Cam," She chokes. "Can we. Can we not talk about this right now?"

    "Yes. Anything you want. I just want to know you're okay." I cry.

    "I'm fine. I just. I don't want to think about everything that happened. I know it'll only make me more depressed." Sighs Alessa, her face scrunching into one of discomfort.

    "I know. I know. I just. I don't want you to shut me out. I want you to know I'm here for you one hundred percent and that I will do everything in my power to make things right. I want to show you how fulfilling this life can be, you just have to promise me you'll give all you can in return." With that, Alessa's body stiffens, forcing me to move back from her.

    "What's wrong?" I question, unwelcoming to the stand-off emotions Alessa's giving off.

    When she doesn't respond I repeat, "What is wrong Alessa? You're acting all cold... Did I do something?"

    "Cam." Cries Alessa, pulling the blanket up to cover her mouth.

    I go to envelop her again but she shifts away from me as if shot by my touch. All emotion leaves Alessa's eyes as I work to decode her reaction.

    "Cam." Repeats Alessa.

    "Alessa." I warn.

    "Cam I —"

    "Alessa, please don't do this."

    "Cameron." At the sound of my full name, I curl up, not wanting to hear the words that may follow.

    Our silence swims through the room for a minute or so until Alessa continues, "Cameron. I love you, I really do, and I know you love me, though I'm not sure why. But I can't do this. Your world is so wrapped up in the media whereas mine is more homely and secretive. I tried to do it, I did, but I don't know how to get over this. Rhea died last year, and she was one of my best friends. Just as I was beginning to accept the idea of living after her, this happens, and I don't want to go back there Cameron. I can't."

    Alessa chokes on her tears, my mind fuming with ideas about what else she'll say.

    "I think we should break up."

________
Okay, teaaaa!

I tried to upload earlier but the power went out on campus...

Anyways, I don't have much to say cause I'm exhausted, but today's question is: What are you going to be for Halloween? Or, if you're not dressing up, what was your favorite Halloween costume you've worn?

Mine's a zoom teacher, it was a comfy costume and pretty funny!

Any who, see you Wednesday!