Promise

Alessa

    Why did I say yes?

    It's the only thought that consumes me as I sit outside, around the fire pit, with my friends.

    "Ale, what's wrong?" Asks Dana, a concerned look marring her face.

    "It's nothing. Promise." I add after Dana continues to eye me suspiciously.

    "So. How are things going with Mr. GQ?" Chimes Brook.

    "Who's Mr. GQ?" Asks Marcus.

    "Ale's secret admirer." Supplies Brook, wiggling her eyebrows.

    Marcus is Mary's boyfriend. He's a part of the Harvey Cedars basketball team. They met during freshman orientation or HCOCO and have been inseparable ever since. They're both trying to go to the same college next year and we all secretly know they're gonna wind up getting married. I mean, come on. What freshman couple lasts this long?

    "He is not my secret admirer." I drag, my cheeks heating up.

    "It didn't look like that when he went all caveman man on you and pushed you into the nearest bedroom." Mocks Brook.

    "Brooklyn Day Hennings! You did not just tell me you saw him do that and didn't even think to help me out!" I accuse, getting up from my seat and marching towards Brook.

    "Easy tiger. I did think about helping... then I saw how hot and heavy you were for each other so I let Mother Nature run her course." She mocks, putting her hands up in surrender.

    I stab her with my eyes as if I'm Superman and have lasers coming out of them.

    "Brook!"

    "Ale."

    "Ugh! You're impossible!" I relent, my body now fully aware of the scene I'm making and the rose petal blush sparking up all over my body.
Am I drunk?

    "She's just teasing." Supplies Dani, engaging me and Dani in a momentary, cold stare down.

    I puff up my cheeks and trudge back to my seat on one of the tree logs surrounding the fire.

    We all sit and shoot the shit for the next hour or so. We talk about classes, practice, our grades, college applications, anything under the sun.

    All of a sudden everyone goes eerily quiet as a cold hand comes in contact with my left shoulder.

    "Hey. Can you come with me?" Comes a smooth voice.

    I turn around to see Cameron's green eyes, now slightly grey from the shine of the moon, staring down at me longingly.

    "Um. Yeah sure." I reply, turning around to address my friends.

    "I'm gonna head out, okay?" I question, eyeing everyone in our circle. Everyone nods in approval.

    I turn to get up when Brook adds, "What are your intentions with my girl Salvadore?"

    Cameron shifts uncomfortably. "Nothing much. We're just gonna talk." He answers, eyeing me for confirmation. "Is that okay with you Brook?"

    "Ah ah ah. That's Brooklyn to you, big boy."

    "Right. Is that okay with you Brooklyn?" He repeats.

    "Yup!" Brook supplied cheerfully.

    I quickly throw my keys to Brook, signaling her to not wait up for me. Cameron extends his arm out to help me maneuver over the log without tripping on it and then guides me to the front of the house. He leads me towards an all-black Jeep Wrangler and motions for me to get into the passenger seat. He closes my door, like a mother f'n gentleman, and then moves around the front of the car to get in. He whips out his phone and sends off a quick message and then plugs it into the aux cord. A playlist of mellow mumble rap flows through the speakers, and as he pulls out of the driveway, the wind gushing over his topless car sends my hair into a tornado. I quickly grab the black hair tie from my wrist and attempt to put my bluntly cut, shoulder-length hair into a messy bun on top of my head. My unruly baby hairs stick out the front like a waterfall of too short hair streams down the back of my neck.