✨Author's Note✨

**I really squeezed my brain 🧠 for all the rowing knowledge I had, so if I find I missed something I'll update this**

Here it is, the long awaited "How does rowing work?" chapter. Now, before I get into explaining rowing terms and the different parts of a boat and how the sport itself is structured, let me first describe why I decided to add this chapter now.
SO, in previous chapters I got a few comments saying "I love the story, but I don't understand rowing" and I get it, rowing is a very niche, not too well known sport, but once you're brought into the rowing world, things begin to make a lot more sense.
I'm adding this chapter now, because I have a few chapter, coming up, that are very rowing heavy; they use a lot of terminology. I try my best to get into and describe what each thing is, but at some points it is too difficult because it takes away from the focus and flow of the chapter. Okay, enough of that, onto the breaking down of rowing...

Rowing 1️⃣0️⃣1️⃣

~ Terminology 🧮 ~

1.) Starboard = the right side of the boat (left for rowers b/c they sit backwards)
2.) Port = the left side of the boat (right for rowers b/c they sit backwards)
3.) Stroke seat = also known as 4 seat (in a four), this is the person closest to the stern of the boat who sets the pace for the rest of the rowers in the boat.
4.) Stern = the rear most part of the boat.
5.) Bow = the front of the boat.
6.) Bow seat = also known as 1 seat, this is the rower closest to the bow of the boat.
7.) Coxswain = the 'pilot' of the boat; the person that makes calls and steers the boat (they are in charge of getting the boat in and out of the water through a series of commands they relay to their rowers).
8.) 2k = 2 kilometres; the base distance for rowing, and how many rowers are placed in boats depending on the time it takes them to complete 2 kilometres.
9.) Sweep rowing = when each rower only has 1 oar that is used to control 1 side of the boat.
10.) Scull rowing = when each rower has 2 (smaller) oars that control both sides of the boat (the term "quad" refers to a 4 that is rigged for sculling).
11.) ➕ = the symbol used in an 8, 4, quad, and so on to signify that there is a coxswain.
12.) ➖ = the symbol used in an 8, 4, quad, and so on to signify that there is NO coxswain.

~ Small ish 💩 ~

Double🙈🙈 vs. Pair🙈🙉
A double is a sculling boat with 2 rowers whereas a pair is a sweeping boat with 2 rowers.
Bay 💦 vs. Lake 🌊
So, in rowing, the term bay, usually refers to the boat house — as in the place the boats are stored— whereas the lake is the body of water we row on. It's a little confusing here, because (in the story) they row on the bay side of LBI, but I'll try to not make it too confising for yah. 🙃😉

~ Diagram 📈 ~

**A sweep 4 with a coxswain (4+)**

~ General 🌏 ~

Generally speaking, rowing is a very physically tasking sport, requiring a lot of leg, arm, and ab strength as well as lots of stamina.
Now, racing. In high school, races are usually 1500 meters, sometimes a full 2000 meters depending on whether they're racing a club team, or even if they are only racing one other school, and both schools agree to a 2000 meter race.
During the fall season races are usually referred to as regattas and are about 4000 meters.
At most any race, crews are expected to arrive anywhere from one to three hours early (sometimes earlier) so they can get set up and warm up.
Once all of the crews boats have been inspected, boats are put on the water and they begin to warm up through a series of drills covering different stroke lengths (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full) and power strokes as well as any technical drills (cutting the cake, outside atm only, etc.).
Once it is time for them to race, crews will line up and then be called to line up at the starting line, where people will hold the stern of their boats so they don't drift away and so that they can get even with the rest of the boats in the heat (the race). After that the official sounds a horn and crews begin their starting sequences followed up by power strokes. After that, everything is pretty self explanatory; win the race.

~ Race 🚣🏼‍♀️ ~

Depending on the distance of the race, crews will choose to either spread out or compact their moves. In a 2k, moves are usually every 500 meters and may consist of power strokes (row hard and fast), lengthen strokes (build the pressure but lean back more), focus strokes (hone in on a particular part of the stroke you want to perfect), or swing strokes (bring up the rate into the stern and extend forwards. Ratio is about 1:1).

~ Stroke 🏊🏼‍♀️ ~

There are many a strokes in rowing, but imma go over a normal full stroke and the parts. So when you start a stroke you start at the catch then move to legs down (drive), layback, and arms in.
**here's a fun diagram from www.coachbergenroth.com cause I realised it'd be easier to show you rather than tell you in a bunch of clunky words**

com cause I realised it'd be easier to show you rather than tell you in a bunch of clunky words**

~ Bye 👋 ~

SO, I know I talked a lot about rowing and all the jazz that goes into everything, but I KNOW I left stuff out. The sport is very complex, and there are a lot of small things that different teams call different things so this is largely based off of my own experience and how my team referred to things. SO, again, if you ever have any questions PLEASE leave a comment on the section with your question and I will reply as soon as possible!

~ Y'all Gods 😇 ~

ALSO, I want to give a huge thank you to you guys for sticking with me as I write this story, so I hope your enjoying the story so far and that you continue to read! I'll see you on Wednesday!!!!