~ Chapter 22 ~

When my alarm goes off I am already awake. Today was the day. I got up and changed out of my transformers pj set, which were, in my opinion, the sexiest pj's out there.

I grab a towel before hopping in the shower. The water was steaming as I let it cascade over all of my edges and curves. Massaging my scalp, I finger comb through my curls and condition them deeply. My hair ends up smelling like honeycomb and pomegrante. I washed my face and lightly pat my hair down before wrapping my body.

Looking in the mirror I decide to go for a simple look. I slide a loose grey short sleeve over my head and let my curls air dry over my shoulders. I put on my red jeans and a black belt. Slipping on my black knee high boots to top it all off.

The only makeup I put on is my winged liner and mascara. I put in my ruby stud earrings and check the time. 8:37 am. We planned to meet by that coffee shop at 10; it's walking distance from the fair grounds.

Having some time to spare, I decide to have a breakfast that's not frozen. I made a spicy omelet that was currently chilling on the stove while I washed off some mixed berries. As I ate I scrolled through my instagram (I had already posted a photo of my outfit and breakfast). I ended up scrolling for about an hour, leaving the house at 9:47.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I pull into the parking spaces, I spot Steve sitting in a booth inside of the coffee shop. He was dressed in a plain white shirt and a navy blue zip up with jeans. When I enter the shop, I can see his face light up when he spots me.

"Y/n, hey," he gets up and meets me by the door, looking me over with a dorky smile slapped on. "You look great!"

"Thank you, Steve," I giggle and we make our way towards the fair grounds, catching up with each other about the past months.

"I've had a lot of free time on my hands since I haven't been given too many missions. Been trying to get up to date with everyone else," he tells me as we round the corner.

"Well, you're not as well known as Clint or Natasha. New York was kind of like your 'opening act.' " Steve watches me as I talk. He studies my movements intently, and there are a lot of them seeing as I am a hand talker.

"Soon people will be lined up around the block to see ya," I nudged his elbow as we walked down the block together.

"That's one way to put it. Crazy metaphor, are you into performances and stuff like that?" He asks.

"Yeah, when I was little I wanted to be an actress," I softly smile, recalling those fond memories. "One time, I put those rubber band bracelets around a pan and pretended it was a guitar! Then I played a song I wrote to my family blindfolded cause I was 'stagefright!' "

Steve and I laugh at my small anecdote and I can't help but wish I could stay like this forever. We walk in a comfortable silence for a while before I feel a light touch on my forearm. I turn to Steve and he is looking at my bruises with a look of concern and contemplation.

"Oh, yeah," I start and his blue eyes look at me with sorrow. Like he knows something. "I was working too hard around the office and got bruised up a bit. Nothing serious."

Steve silently nods his heads and smiles. Then he hears faint music and chatter. We crossed the street towards the fair grounds. I smile at Steve and drag him to the ticket booths. It was time to let loose, forget all of the rules, and just enjoy myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on, Cap! Use them muscles and win us a prize!" I chuckled as we walked past one of those "test your strength" hammer games. Steve laughed as I stopped in front of the vender, practically begging me to pick up that huge rubber hammer.