Grief Changes People

I stared out at the ocean again. I meant what I said. Ace has always been one of the only things that kept me standing. Kept me smiling. Kept me sane.

He was like that one branch I clung onto before plummeting down a cliff. I don't know if I was like that for him, but I knew I was something in his eyes.

I jumped into the ocean and my legs turn to a tail as I sped through the rapids.

Was I really a gentle soul? Or was I craving violence, but holding it back?

I stopped and shot up out of the water as my arms were engulfed in flames once again. I was on my way to Sabaody, right?

I sighed and lowered onto the water, the water beneath my feet turning to ice. "So it does count if I kick him." I said to myself. I began walking along the water and stepped onto the Sabaody Archipelago.

It actually was a pretty tiring journey. I felt the pain that I wasn't able to feel at Marineford, both emotionally and physically, and the energy used as I was filled with adrenaline was drained.

"Y/N?"

I tensed and looked behind me. "Oh... Rayleigh." He walked up to me and tilted his head. "When did you get here?"

"A few seconds ago."

He looked at the ice covered path over the ocean and nodded. "Makes sense." And he looked back down at me. "Huh, you really lost something in your eyes."

I was silent this time. I had heard it from my crew, from Hancock, and now from Rayleigh. Now what? Will I hear it from Law, too?

"I'm sure you've heard it from many other people in the 24 hours you've lost your boyfriend. It's very obvious."

I didn't bother questioning it again and turned around. "I came to ask about Luffy, but since you're in such a good mood, I'm sure he's fine." I began walking away but Rayleigh called out my name.

"Hey, can we talk for a sec?"

I spun around on my heels and crossed my arms. "Make it quick." It was odd sounding so firm with the right hand man of the Gol D Roger. But I wasn't trying to sound nice. I wanted to leave.

"You're an interesting person. The last time I saw you, you were a pretty bright and friendly person. Where'd that go?"

I paused and exhaled slowly, turning around again. "With Ace." And walked away.

Was that statement true? Was he really the one keeping me together? I honestly could tell, but all I knew was this: smiling really hurt.

I walked to the centre of the plaza, watching the people go by like nothing had ever happened. I guess that's understandable. Nothing happened... not to them at least.

I saw from the side of my eye the beaded earrings that I got the last time I was here. I didn't even get the chance to wear them. They were at the bottom of the ocean now.

But I didn't really want them anyways.

"Help me, please!" My ears perked up and I looked around, searching for where the voice of distress came from.

"Get this thing off my neck! Someone!"

My mind went back to when I first met Camie, remembering the exploding collar that was around her neck.

I sprinted to the source of the sound, my hands shaking as my eyes darted around the plaza of people. I saw an area where people kept recoiling from one spot, and that's where I immediately went.

"Room!"

I wove through the crowd and saw a man standing there, his hand gripped around the collar as he tried to pry it off.