[16] The Social Worker

Kiara Valencia-Moretti

Greyson and David stood up and started shuffling through the boxes and frames kept on the table. Just on time a phone rang and I turned my attention to Alex, who left the room, with the phone on his ear and keeping his laptop aside.

" Zaydon properly say hello to your little sister before Alex comes, or else you are just asking for it." Stefan didn't seem fazed from the intense glare Zaydon gave him.

His tone was utterly different from the warm, soft voice he uses with me, it held such severity that made me almost shiver but I held myself and just kept eating my chocolate to somehow ease the awkward tension around me.

Zaydon opened his mouth, to probably say something snarky when Stefan interepted him, "Watch what you say or do around her, she is your little sister."

"I'm not going to change anything because of some little girl." He didn't even spare me a glance before striding out of the living room. Well, a proper 'hello' would have been nice dear brother. It wasn't like I was expecting a 'welcome home dear sister' hug from you.

Masking my hurt expressions, I stared ahead at Greyson, who now had a pendrive in his hand, and he was doing something with it on the T.V. , maybe.

Kritton slowly turned his head upwards in my lap, facing the ceiling till his eyes met mine, "I'm sorry about him love, he's just a little irritated today." I didnt knew what to say. It was like I was speechless. that was 'a little irritated'? Never in my life do I want to irritate him.

A smile made its way to his lips when I brought the chocolate closer to his lips. He took a bite, a huge one at that, before facing forward and my right hand again made it's way to his hairs.

I turned my gaze back at the screen, which now had a list of 4 filenames on it. Greyson selected the first one by taping on it. Wait, what!?

My eyes widened as realisation dawned on me, it was a touch screen T.V. Wow...Blinking twice I took a bite of my chocolate.

David came and sat beside me such as I was between him and the armrest while Greyson took a seat where Zaydon sat near the 'L' part of the couch. Alex soon came in and sat beside David. The couch was so big that there was plenty of space left even after both of them sitting.

Stefan was sitting on the couch next to mine near the armrest so we were almost sitting adjacent to each other just both the armrest between us. Looking around the room, everyone's attention was on the T.V. I turned my head forward and the sight in front of me on the screen almost made me froze on my spot.

Third Person POV

The video started and everyone was intensely watching it. Eleven months old Kia was sitting on the floor with many toys, plushies and a few picture books around her. Some shuffling was heard as Alicia adjusted the camera and came in view and sat beside her daughter.

The camera was adjusted in a way that they could see the whole living room. The whole living room was empty except a couch and if seen carefully you could see a table been kept outside the living room. The whole living room was screaming 'kid friendly'.

Alicia opened one of the picture books and kept it in front of Kia. The colorful book now had the whole attention of Kia. She was staring at it as if it was the only thing she was able to see. She soon took a page in her hand, everyone thought she was about to flip it but she didn't.

In a split second the half of the page was torn and thrown away.

"Kia! No." Alicia scolded gently, her eyes wide by her daughter's actions.