Day 75.2

Kyle

The sun makes its way past the middle of the sky slowly, making it safe to say that we are in the second half of the day. It's been five weeks, maybe more since my parents died. I've lost track of the days at this point. There is no point in tracking the days anyway.

Both my parents remained on the ground, just as they died. We've been taking the back to leave the house. I haven't worked up the courage to put them down yet, if I ever will. All I know is that everything feels dead. I'm not sure when we will feel the little dude kick, but at least we can see the little guy or gal grow in there. Her bump is small, probably too small, considering she's probably fourteen to sixteen weeks pregnant, but it gives us the certainty that our little human is safe in there.

God forbid something happens.

I continue to watch out the window, not a single life in sight. If it weren't for Bekah and Baby K, I wouldn't have anything to fight for. I'd be just as gone as those creatures.

"Baby?" My wife says. I don't care if we never had a wedding; this woman is my wife, and nothing will change that.

"Yeah, babe?" I respond with a sigh, my voice tired. I turn my head halfway to face her and raise my eyebrows.

"What will happen if the baby dies?" She asks, tears flooding her eyes as she looks down. I turn fully and walk toward her, kneeling on one knee beside her. I take her hands in my own, holding them tight and putting them to my lips. Truth is, I don't know. My worst fear is that he or she will kill her from the inside, but I keep that thought to myself. I bite the inside of my cheek, looking at her with glassy eyes, studying her beautiful face.

"I will do what it takes to keep you and Baby alive, babe," I say in a level tone, grabbing both sides of her face and kissing her lips. I pull away. "I love you, sunshine." Tears continue to fall down her face, fear drawn all over her face.

"I love you, too." I pull her into my arms, holding her close as she sobs into my shoulder. I continue to comfort her, keeping my arms tight around her. I see the door open, instantly making eye contact with Dre. He looks at me with a serious face.

"Babe, I have to get up, now," I whisper in her ear. I lean away from her, my hands still firmly placed on her arms. Her eyes are still red, but the tears have stopped. "I'll be back, sunshine. Just tell me if you need anything." With a kiss on her forehead, I exit the room, coming down to the kitchen with Dre.

"What's up, man?" I ask, crossing my arms over my torso as I lean against the kitchen counter.

"We need to go out again. Supplies are low and we've picked clean the area. Apparently, nobody went grocery shopping before the apocalypse hit," he says with a small chuckle, looking down for a minute.

"But I wanted to ask you something. How long are we going to stay here? We're only going to have to travel further and further for supplies before we can't stay here. And with your wife expecting. I don't know," he adds, sighing.

"No, you're right. I'm just not ready to leave my parents. Or put Bekah and little dude in danger," I reply, pursing my lips before rubbing my mouth.

"It's your call, man. I'll stand by you no matter what you go with," he says, grabbing my shoulder before going away. I make eye contact with Bekah as she enters the room. She walks beside me, grabbing ahold of my hand and leaning her head against my shoulder. I sigh, looking down at her. She closes her eyes. I look over her facial expressions, admiring her.