vi. Into the Woods

I lunged forward but the lion was too fast. It sidestepped out of the way. Warily, it circled me as it looked for an opening. I kept my shield up. Unlike the battle with the gryphon, I was better prepared and more confident in my skills.

Mandy zipped around the head of the lion, hoping to distract it so I could land a definitive blow. It turned with a roar and batted at the fairy with a paw. Seeing my chance, I thrust my sword forward. It pierced the golden fur, but did not sink very deep. As it whirled around, tail whipping in my direction, I barely managed to duck beneath it.

Collecting myself, I went in for another swing – only for my sword to glance off the lion's hide as if it were armour. There was something oddly familiar about that fact. It tickled at the back of my mind until I finally remembered mum's stories about Hercules. One of the very first Labours he had performed was the slaying of the Nemean Lion.

Was it possible that the monster I faced was the same? In the stories mum told me, Hercules had strangled it to death. I was not that strong.

Distracted, I barely managed to dodge out of the way when the lion pounced towards me. Saying a bad word, I knocked its outstretched claw away with my shield before punishing it with a quick jab of my sword.

It yowled in pain and launched a desperate attack. I saw it coming and skilfully managed to fend off the lion. Despite the fact that such a move gave me many openings for my own assault, I did not retaliate. Victory was in my grasp. Better to play it safe.

Sensing, perhaps, that I would not be easy prey, the lion gave another terrifying snarl. It hoped to intimidate me. To strike fear in my heart.

Bolstered by Nina's gifts, I refused to back down. I was not afraid. Instead, I bared my teeth. Matching its show of aggression with my own as I taunted the creature.

It was enough.

The lion tucked its tail between its legs and ran. Within moments, it had disappeared into the depths of the forest.

"Yeah! You better run!" Mandy shouted after the fleeing lion.

I barely managed to hide the smile that tugged at my lips. It felt good. Winning. I felt a thrill go through me. I had done it. No one else.

Exhausted, I slumped down next to a tree. As the adrenaline drained from my system, my arms were like lead. I needed a moment to catch my breath. But I kept my sword close by. There was no telling whether or not the lion would come back, even though I had scared it off. Mandy flew up and perched lightly on my shoulder.

"Do you think we're any closer to the tower?" I asked her.

"I could take a quick look, Evie. If there is one good thing that came from entering the Land of Monsters, it was being granted the ability to fly," said Mandy, gesturing to her fairy-like wings. "Don't worry, I'll be back in a jiffy."

"Does it feel strange? Know that I think about it, you picked up flying really fast. No offence. I thought it would take longer if you never had wings before."

Mandy shrugged. "I can't really explain it, Evie. It feels as natural as walking. I'm sure that if you went through the portal and were given something like a tail, you'd be swinging it around as if it had always been a part of you."

I nodded. The thought had crossed my mind. And the more I thought about Mandy's explanation, the more sense it made. There were so many things that didn't need me to consciously think about. Walking. Breathing. For Mandy, it seemed as if flying was exactly the same. Just like the birds back home. It was natural.

Enviously, I watched as she zipped up into the treetops. A part of me wished that I had been gifted with something special when I had fallen through the golden portal and into the Land of Monsters. What would I give for a pair of wings or horns or some sort of magic power.

As I waited for Mandy to return, I wondered what it would have been like if I had grown adamantine claws and had an increased healing factor. Or, perhaps, the ability to shapeshift into an elephant. Now that would have been something.

It was not very long before Mandy came back down. She was all but vibrating in excitement.

"I saw it, Evie. I saw it! The tower isn't too far. At least, from what I could see, it should only be half a day's journey. Of course, that might be because it's so big," she reluctantly admitted. "Well, as they say, the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. We'd best get moving. Unless you're still feeling tired? That lion was pretty strong."

"No, no. I'm good Mandy. Let's go," I said, rising to my feet. "We need to make as much headway with the sun still shining. It's still pretty early and I don't want to make my parents wait any longer than they have to. Not as the Monster King's prisoners, at least."

Sheathing my sword, I took another look around the clearing we found ourselves in. The lion had been resting under the tree on the far side. Almost peaceful, until I had blundered my way through the undergrowth. Then, before we could have apologised, it had attacked. The Land of Monsters was a dangerous place. It had probably thought I was a threat. Perhaps if it had been a little more cowardly, like the one Dorothy had encountered in the Land of Oz, we might have been friends.

In the end, though, it didn't matter. My parents needed me and I was going to save them. Resolve renewed, I pushed my way deeper into the wood. Mandy followed close behind me. Her presence was a comfort. It reminded me that I wasn't alone.

Up above, the sun served as my guide. Leading me ever further into the unknown.