ii. The Beginning

Mum always said I was never very good at explaining myself. And that stories should always start at the beginning. Otherwise people will wonder what spurred me into launching a rescue attempt. Or why I believed my parents had been taken by the Monster King.

Now I've never been good at telling tales, but I like to think it's important to set the scene first and foremost.

It was a quarter to nine on Thursday night. I had just finished a dungeon in The Legend of Zelda and was packing my things away (after saving, of course) when mum found me. Hands on hips, she gave me a stern look. "I thought I told you already that it's time for bed, Evelyn."

"And I'm going now, mum. Please don't be mad," I said, picking Jester up from the floor. "See, I'm already in my PJs. Just give me ten minutes and I'll be under the covers. Promise."

"Five, little lady. And not one second more."

I let out a groan as I trudged back to my bedroom. It was just so unfair! I had done everything right. Just like how I was told. Now I had to hurry to the bathroom, brush my teeth, put the empty tea cups away, and make everything neat and tidy all within five minutes. It was an impossible task!

By the time I came out of the bathroom, my teeth sparkling white, seven minutes had gone by. Mum was waiting for me, book out and had already flipped to the last chapter. She seemed engrossed and only looked up when I tentatively called out to her.

She smiled at me. "Come on, Evelyn. Climb into bed and we'll begin," she said, lightly patting the cover next to her. "This next chapter is going to be pretty exciting."

"But what about the tea cups?" I asked, even as I obeyed.

"Don't worry. I'll fix them up for you. Just don't tell dad."

I slipped beneath the covers and allowed mum to tuck me in, Jester in hand. When she saw I was ready, mum started to read. I always found mum's voice soothing. Within minutes, I was whisked away into a land that was both magical and fantastical. The author had such a way of weaving words together that always had me on the edge of my seat, eager for more.

Before the chapter could pick up much steam, though, mum stopped. She cocked her head to one side. The protest on my lips was silenced quickly with a stern look.

In silence, we sat. And listened. Until I heard the squeak of soft-soled shoes on timber floorboards.

"What's going on, mum?" I asked in a quiet voice, suddenly afraid.

She gently shushed me as she rose her feet. "Don't make a sound, Evelyn. I'll be right back. Mummy is going to go have a quick peek downstairs, okay?"

Reaching out, I grabbed her arm. "Please don't leave me alone."

Mum gently prised my fingers from her wrist. "Everything will be fine, Evelyn. Most likely, it's just your dad. Although what he might be doing in the laundry so late at night is a mystery. Still, I'll keep the night light on."

"I'm scared."

"You? My brave little girl? No, no, no. That won't do. Remember: the monsters can't reach you when you're safely tucked away in bed."

It wasn't what I wanted to hear. Yet something in me also wished to live up to mum's words and took comfort in her reassurances. I pulled my blanket up closer to my chin, although all I wanted to do was keep mum within reach. Hugging Jester close to my chest, I demanded a promise that mum would return soon. Smiling, she leaned down and gave me a quick peck on the forehead.

Lying in bed, I swore to myself that I could be a brave warrior that bore the crest of courage. Just like the character of Link in the Legend of Zelda.

But this wasn't a video game. I had no Master Sword with me.

As the door clicked shut, I let out a frustrated groan. I was torn between what mum had told me and my fear. Yet, when it came down to it, I knew what I had to do. There were no ifs or buts about it. I would be brave, honest and true. Lady Evelyn: a proper Knight of Chivalry, from the fairy tale I loved. Dragons and other such evils beasts beware!

Filled with resolve, I opened my eyes a and sidled out of bed. If there were bad guys here, I'd fight them off with whatever lay close at hand. On tiptoes, I crept to the door. Through a hair-thin crack, I peeked into the corridor.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing greeted me. Most of the lights had been switched off and I could barely make out anything in the gloom.

Suddenly, there were a lot of raised voices. Following the wall, I was able to reach the staircase. Further down in the living room, there was a click. Suddenly, I was blinded by harsh incandescent light. Unable to see anything but the red insides of my eyes.

When the afterimages finally blinked away and I had adjusted to the light, Mandy was by my side. Somehow, she had avoided both my parents and whoever else was lurking inside the house. I didn't question it, though, thankful to have a friend beside me.

"Well, what are you waiting for Evie? We ought to go out there and slay the monster."

"You must be crazy, Mandy. I can't do that. Mum told me to stay in bed. And that's what I should be doing right now," I remembered saying. "I only wanted to see if everything was all right."

There came a sudden crash, followed swiftly by a scream. As quickly as they came on, the lights went out. I could see nothing. Then the front door slammed shut and within moments, an ominous silence hung in the air. Frightened, I called out to my parents. First mum. Then dad. I don't know how long I kept it up, but no one came for me.

I was alone.

Minutes slowly trickled by until the large grandfather clock on the landing boomed out the time. The sound of it broke me from whatever spell kept me bound and I darted back to my room. I crawled under the covers and waited. Somewhere outside, I heard large shrieking sirens and saw flashes of red and blue. They scared me and I screwed my eyes up tighter than ever.

If I waited long enough, mum and dad would surely come looking for me. I just needed to be a good girl and wait.

I don't know whether or not I slept. All I can remember is grandma pulling the blankets away and finding me in bed. Jester had somehow fallen out and was lying on the floor. And like when I was much smaller, I had wet the sheets.

When she tried to reach for me, I flinched back– believing for a brief moment that she was a disguised monster, the story ofLittle Red Riding Hood serving a cautionary tale. But then I saw the lightcoming through the blinds and knew that it was impossible for a monster tostill be here.