iv. Escape

Exhaustion tugged at me. It was hard work trying to keep an eye on the gryphon and making sure I stayed just out of its reach. Mandy continued to serve as a distraction as she threw insult after insult at the monster. I didn't see what the use of it all was. The half bird, half lion creature probably couldn't even understand English. Still, Mandy persisted. And on the rare occasion, earned enough of the gryphon's ire that the creature swiped at her.

From the corner of my eye, I could make out the cloud of dust getting bigger. Whatever it was, it was coming closer. A part of me hoped it was a knight, come to rescue me. Another part hated the thought that I needed someone else's help. It was convinced I could do this alone. Of course, mum had always taught me it was foolish to refuse aid when I was in a dire need. Even Link sometimes needed help from a grouchy old man in a cave. After all, it was dangerous to go out alone.

Too bad that hadn't happened. The bag that I had prepared, with food and supplies, had disappeared the moment I found myself in the Land of the Monsters.

Distracted, I barely dodged out of the way as the gryphon leapt towards me, talons outstretched. It missed me by a whisker. Heart thudding loudly in my ears, arm still throbbing in pain, I warily kept my distance.

This was bad. This was really bad.

"Hey, hey! Over here, bird brain!" Once again Mandy darted in close. She buzzed around the monster's head. Frustrated, the gryphon lunged towards her. Just like Tinker Bell, she nipped out of the way – her wings going almost as fast as that of a hummingbird's. I envied her a little, watching her spectacular displays of flight.

Lost in my thoughts, I was caught off-guard when the gryphon spun round to chase Mandy. In a clean sweep, its tail knocked me to the ground. I landed on my injured arm. The sound of my tortured hiss had the creature whirling back towards me. There was a malevolent gleam in its eye as it stalked closer. It readied to pounce.

I closed my eyes, knowing the end was near.

But seconds passed and still there was nothing. Instead, there was a shriek of anger. Ever so slowly, I opened my eyes to slits.

Right in front of me was a horse made entirely of steel. It glistened in the sun as it reared, hooves lashing out at the gryphon. Faced with an opponent that would not be so easily cowed, the half-bird, half-cat hybrid sputtered and hissed – seeming to shrink in size. The gryphon made another attempt to break through but was quickly rebuffed by the steel horse, which had spun around and kicked out with its hind legs.

Thwarted again, the gryphon let out a mighty squawk of discontent before it unfurled its wings. Two flaps and it was in the air, soaring away to find much easier prey.

I slumped to the ground. My legs wobbly. Almost immediately, Mandy swooped in and landed on my shoulder.

"Are you okay, Evie? For a second there, I thought we were goners."

I took in a deep shuddering breath before I turned to face the fairy-like creature. This close, I could make out her features. It was unmistakeably Mandy. "I'm good. But why are you so small?"

"Well, I could ask you you're so big," she huffed. Not a second later, she looked down at her body and glanced at her delicate wings. "I don't know why I look like this, Evie. When I was falling through that portal, it just seemed as if you were growing into a giant."

"Maybe, then, it's something to do with the Land of Monsters. Mum's favourite story used to have these cookies that could shrink people right down. Could it be something like that, you think?"

Mandy shrugged. "Maybe."

Feeling the strength return to my legs, I rose unsteadily to my feet. The steel horse had remained and was watching me patiently. I reached out towards the horse and it moved to nuzzle my hand. To my surprise, it felt warm. And then it snorted and let out a whinny. Like it was real and not something made solely of metal.

"And where did you come from?" I asked, gently stroking the horse's snout. There was something about that made me want to trust it immediately. The steel horse was no monster. Rather, it was a friend and ally.

It only nudged my arm. With a toss of its head, it looked back down to where it had come from. I smiled and patted it again.

"I think it wants you to get on," said Mandy.

"You sure, Mandy?"

"Well, why else would it come here? Someone sent it here to help us, Evie. Besides, that's the direction to the Monster King's tower. We should go with it."

Having just met the gentle creature, I knew that there was truth in Mandy's words. In any case, there was the possibility that owner of the horse would be able to help me out further.

"Okay," I said. Having made my decision, I gave the horse one last pat on its nose. "I'm not entirely sure if this is the smartest thing to do, but after you saved me from that monster, I feel like I can trust you. So, I'll listen to my gut. And Mandy. Mister Horse, you'd better not be taking into danger, you hear me? Otherwise I'll be very cross with you."

With that, I heaved my way onto its back. I had never ridden on a horse before and it took me several attempts before I managed to swing my leg over. Once I had finally settled and took hold of its mane, the steel horse began to move. Slow, at first, before increasing in speed.

In minutes, we were cantering over the fields, the wind in my hair.

Finally, as the sun began to set, I spotted the small hut in the distance. It sat right on the edge of a dark forbidding wood. Despite all of that, the steel horse beneath me sped right for it, eager now that its home was in sight. I was a little more nervous. The stories mum had told me about the things that lived near forests filled my head. Most of them not good, like witches and trolls and hags.

As we neared, I exchanged a knowing look withMandy. Should it be an enemy, they would find us not easy prey.