Chapter 9: Dark Alley

"Erwin, could we go out for a walk?" the small vampire asked suddenly, watching television. A week pasted since he had started his training. He was progressing rapidly and it was obvious he was about to leave the merman soon.

"It depends on where you would like to go," the blond man answered, eating his dinner behind the small table.

"I would like to clean my flat before I move back in."

"In other words, you want to take a walk in the south part of the city after sunset?" Erwin could not believe his own ears. It was way too dangerous.

"Don't worry, princess! I have lived there my whole life. If anything happens, I will protect you," the vampire assured him. However, Erwin still wasn't fond of that idea.

"Levi, you may have forgotten, but you are my client. I am supposed to protect you, not the other way around."

"Well, this time, we make an exception. Come on, it'll be fun!" Levi tried to act cheerfully, slightly wincing instead. Despite his inability to appeal joyful, Erwin agreed.

***

They were walking the dark alleys in complete silence. The only audible sound was meowing of stray cats. The air around them was heavy, filled with a mixed smell of cigarettes and old trash.

As they were passing the locals, Erwin looked at the ground just like Levi told him to. On the other hand, the vampire glared at the strangers, intimidating them. Thanks to this strategy, they were able to get to Levi's flat safely.

"I really hope those fuckers did not steal anything," the vampire growled, surveying the place. Erwin only watched him, appealing like a shy kid. He had no idea what he was supposed to do.

"What are you waiting for? Grab a broom and get to work!" the vampire commanded him, pointing at the cabinet with cleaning supplies. Erwin did not even know how, and Levi was wearing a headscarf and a mask. He then took out another ones and tried to make the merman wear them too.

"Levi, I don't think we need these..."

"Of course we do," the raven cut him off the moment he sensed an attempt to rebel.

In the end, Erwin ended up protected from dust as well. The cleaning took them two hours but only because Levi had to lecture Erwin all the time about the "proper cleaning techniques". The merman did not mind. He adored seeing the man finally being himself.

"It's still in a pitiful state, however, I refuse to listen to your yawning any longer," the vampire gave them a permission to leave, gazing at a bed and a couch in a corner of the large room. Shadow of sorrow was casted upon his pale face and Erwin did not failed to notice it.

"What is it?" he asked. At this point, Levi knew he was asking only as his doctor and therefore he did not mind answering. Hiding never solved anything.

"We used to sleep there. My sister always selfishly took the bed, so Furlan and I had to manage with the couch. Well, now it seems I have the bed all for myself..." he stopped, knowing he should not torture himself even more. His pain would not bring them back.

"Let's get out of here," he growled and so they did.

"You know you can tell me anything," Erwin reminded his roommate as they were going back to his apartment. The streets seemed even darker than before.

"Of course," the vampire confirmed in a mocking way. "Do not worry, I'll do my best to..." He felt silent, looking around, alerted and prepared.

"What is it?" Erwin grew worried, surveying their surroundings as well.