Chapter 1

I couldn't believe it. Liam pulled away. 

We were practicing for a live concert in Melbourne, Australia when it happened. It was just another routine practice, yet, it became the most embarrassing moment of my life.  

Liam sat  on top of a leather couch in the middle of the stage, belting out his last note when I touched his hair, tenderly, friendly, and out of sheer anger he told me to "Get off!" 

I mean---we're friends, right? Best friends if I recalled. 

Playful touching was just something we did for fun. Something to get the fangirls all riled up about. We both agreed ages ago that it was for the spotlight, and the spotlight only; however,  I couldn't help but wonder, even after the incident happened an hour ago and we were now in a limo speeding down the coast to our hotel room across southeastern Victoria, Australia, was why Liam began acting so angrily towards me.

Even now, I sat near the door of the limousine while Liam sat at the farthest end from me, his earphones plugged in and his cell phone cupped between his fingers. 

I stared at Liam for a moment wondering why my best friend was acting the least bit unfriendly, and then it hit me. 

Liam smiled from a text message he read on his phone. I knew it was a text because it played a hip hop beat that always got on my nerves. The song wasn't bad. It was the person affiliated with that song that pissed me off. He was texting his girlfriend Danielle. 

There was the problem. 

Ever since Liam began going out with her he became more distant, more uptight. More . . . straight. 

I knew it was a wrong word to use because I was straight too. It was just that I loved Liam. Truly. Madly. Deeply cared about him. The way a best friend is supposed to love their best friend.

Nothing more. Nothing less. 

So, why was I feeling left out? 

I wanted to close the gap between us that had grown further apart with every passing day. I wanted to take the earphones out of his ears, ask him what was wrong but I couldn't. My heart wouldn't let me.

Scratch that. 

My nerves wouldn't let me. Sweat collected in the back of my neck. That was how nervous I was. Why was that? I never was nervous with Liam before. 

I sighed. 

It would pass eventually, I thought. After all, anything to make him happy.

*  *   *   *   *

Liam was pulling away further. 

I could hear it. See it. Feel it. 

We didn't talk anymore. When we did it was short, and it was only to ask me what song we were singing or what time it was. I missed the nights when we would twit-cam with our fans, and be the most happiest chums in the entire world. 

Liam always asked me how I was feeling but it seemed nowadays all Liam could help but feel was Danielle.

My lunch wanted to make an appearance on the hotel rug. Danielle

Just the mention of her name made my blood boil. She had to be the reason why Liam was pulling away from me. Maybe she was jealous about the close bond we formed working together or maybe she didn't like everyone thinking that her boyfriend could ever hang out with or . . . love somebody like me. 

I needed to ask Liam what the problem was between us or to see if he even had one. Maybe everything that was going on between us was all in my head? Perhaps Liam wasn't the one pulling away but I was?