Prologue

You always wondered why you bothered joining the Military Police. For years you've done practically nothing but watch your comrades sit around drinking on the job, living a comfortable life while doing next to nothing to earn such privileges, and absolutely nothing to help with the threat of the titans. 

At first this lifestyle of easy luxury had a certain allure to you. You wanted this life of fun, drinking and relaxing to distract you from the real horrors of life within and outside of the walls, But now you just found it tedious and unrewarding. You wanted more. 

Not to mention that most of your fellow MP's were either much younger, or much older than you, and far too stuck up their own backsides to form any kind of meaningful friendship with.

Maybe you wanted change due to the loss of your closest friends to titan attacks, or maybe because you saw the Scouts leaving for every mission hopeful, and returning with half the numbers, injuries, carts full of corpses and sullen expressions. 

You saw everyone else heckling them, disgusted by their failures, while you saw it differently. You saw the courage and sacrifices they made, You saw a life actually worth living, even with all the risks of it.

You sit on a bench in the center of the marketplace just watching other MP's getting up to their usual antics. Drinking wine, bantering, talking about women and boozy nights from the past, none of which you bothered to attend. It's a beautiful day, the sun colours the marketplace a warm shade of gold, birds are singing and people are enjoying their time with friends and family, but the vulgar conversations around you prevent you from fully appreciating the atmosphere.

What a load of pigs  you thought while tuning out a conversation between two older male MP's about a shared sexual history with a barmaid. From the corner of your eye you saw a flash of green.

You turn to see a tall authoritive blonde man,  cloaked in a scout cape. With his bushy eyebrows and strong jawline, you instantly recognized Erwin Smith. He had several other scouts with him, but you had heard many stories about this man in particular, and you were in absolute awe of him.

Never in your wildest dreams would you imagine yourself having the confidence to even make direct eye contact with Erwin Smith, Let alone talk to him, but today was different, you were at your wits end and you had to try.

Here goes nothing you thought as you started to head in his direction, trying to calm yourself with deep breaths.

Just as he was about to step into the doorway, you catch Erwin's attention.

"Excuse me, Sir?" you say with a newfound confidence. He turns to you, Stone faced and strong. You immediately regretted saying anything to him, but once he has fully acknowledged you, his face surprisingly softens into a kind smile.

"Hello, How can I help you today Miss?" he says kindly. 

This was it. You had come too far to back out now.. 

"Erwin Sir, I was wondering if you are recruiting? I haven't heard of many people switching regiments before but if it's a possibility, I'd be honored if you would consider me" 

you say firmly with a salute. 

You are quickly taken aback by his broad smile and chuckle 

"and here I was actually trying to scout for new recruits within other regiments! It's almost as if you were sent from the gods! And what is your name?" 

at this response you instantly felt a wave of relief wash over you. All these years you had seen him as a legendary commander, strict and intimidating, but the Erwin you were talking to right now felt like a lifelong friend you could talk to about anything. 

"Y/N Sir. Is there anything I need to do? Do I need to like... audition or something?"

A loud laugh booms from his chest 

"No need Y/N. It's a pleasure to meet you. Seeing as you are a member of the Military Police, I have absolutely no reason to doubt your abilities. Even if you haven't necessarily had to use them for a while" 

he adds the last part in a lower tone, with a knowing grin and a hand cupped to the side of his mouth as if telling you a secret. At this you smile back at him and hold out your hand to shake his. He reciprocates and tells you where to go to discuss these arrangements further.

Well that was easier than I expected... Finally! I'm going to get out of this dull situation and make something of my life. I'm going to be a real scout!

And at that you sat back down on the bench, broad smile on your face and finally able to appreciate the wonderful environment around you with no distractions.