Chapter 13 | Obsession and nicknames

As I walked back to my apartment, I collapsed on the couch, my thoughts racing

As I walked back to my apartment, I collapsed on the couch, my thoughts racing. My life had changed so much in just two weeks. Here I was having a date with Elijah Harden, my worst enemy and incidentally one of the most coveted guys in college.

The time was fast approaching. The time when we would officially be a couple, both of us.

I dreaded that crucial moment when the barriers would be broken, when my lips would touch his, our hands would join, the words would cross our lips and the huge lie would scatter in the air like wildfire, "We are together." It was the revenge I wanted, it was completely fake, it shouldn't make me this nervous. And yet...

I was thinking  way too much. That was my  daily problem. I was analyzing every word, every gesture, every insignificant element of my life instead of letting it flow. I was always looking for a hidden meaning to everything when there was nothing to find.

Thoughts were piling up in my mind, forming a tower that was getting thicker and thicker, higher and higher, and whose balance was becoming more and more inconstant and fragile every second. But I was doing my best to maintain it, because the fall consisted in a rupture, in the collapse of my reason, the loss of control.

And what happened when control slipped out of my hands?

The long fingers of anxiety would catch them on the fly, feverish, frantic at the idea of taking possession of me.

Sighing, my gaze roamed over the books piled around my television, for lack of a shelf to put them on, and I thought of those heroines in the fantasy novels I loved, strong and brazen, who fought evil without revealing any of their weaknesses.

I would have liked to step between the lines of a fantasy novel, to immaculate the paper with my own story, with the ink of my doubts and fears. To become a deformed, flawed heroine who was constantly afraid of losing. Would people read my story? Or would they be annoyed by my anxiety and inconsistency?

I do the best I can, I'd like to whisper in their ear if I could. I do the best I can.

Tomorrow, I'll go on the date with Elijah Harden, I'll smile at him, I'll show everyone that I was getting close to him. Even if I hated him, it didn't matter, because if he managed to pretend to like me when we were in public and then change drastically the next minute, then I could do that too.

I'll take things lightly, because nothing was to be taken seriously, nothing made sense.

After more than an hour spent reading fanfictions randomly downloaded from the web, someone suddenly rang my doorbell and I froze. Few people knew my address and I never received visitors. With hushed steps, I made my way to the entrance and peeked through the eyepiece. My heart sank in my chest.

Julian.

Him AGAIN.

Red-eyed and disheveled, he stood against my door. The look on his face was familiar; it was the look he had when he'd just lined up ten drinks on a bar counter.