Chapter 12 | Don't touch me

If someone was suddenly affectionate and kind to you in public, and then reverted to their usual coldness when you two were alone, would you find that annoying?

Personally, it gave me the urge to commit murder.

After our first day of fakedating, I actually liked the fact that my relationship with Elijah had already progressed a bit. Aside from our fight in the computer room, we had been acting pretty friendly. We'd had our usual bickering, but it hadn't left that bitter aftertaste in my mouth.

Unfortunately, I had been right in predicting that the space-time rift would soon close.

The dream ended.

For the next three days, he kept up his fake amorous airs when we were in the presence of other students. He would lightly hold my waist in greeting, accompany me to classes, and have lunch with me and my friends. We had already become accustomed to all of them being around, and I noticed a bulb of group dynamics sprouting between us. Sam, Saejin, Megan, and even Niall seemed to enjoy their company, and that made me feel better. Alejandro was hitting on me more rarely, with little jabs, and Elijah was still reacting jealously. It was perfect, in short.

However, when we were alone, he reverted back to being an ice monster and our exchanges were infrequent. He didn't even talk to me about the book or the philosophy project we have to do together. He was distant.

It was like he was trying to remind me that it was all a fucking lie.

I didn't know why I was holding it against him. It had been five years since Elijah had shown no interest in me, other than regarding our academic clashes. I should be relieved that he was ignoring me, since he tended to infuriate me very quickly. But I just couldn't be. In fact, the sudden changes in his behavior between the fake and real versions of him were rather... frustrating.

Infuriating.

Hot and cold. There was nothing better to describe it.

Fuck him.

I shouldn't be thinking about him. Other girls were smiling at his texts for sure.

Besides, I had other things to worry about.

Exams approaching.

Friday night, I was in the library studying when he showed up alone. He reached out to me and flicked me on the forehead in greeting. I welcomed him with a cautious attitude, not even paying attention to the spark in my stomach. His appearance was suspicious and dangerous.

I never studied with others because I liked the quietness of my thoughts, devoid of the desire to discuss with anyone. The presence of someone else was too distracting. But Elijah had the smile of a villain, a troublemaker, a threat to silence. I quickly deduced that he was here to bother me with my work because he didn't have his schoolbag.