Chapter 8

* Anne * 

I woke up the next morning and looked around my room . I could've sworn there'd been someone in there last night . That was impossible. Oh well . I got dressed in jeans with a t-shirt and pulled my hair up in a ponytail , not really caring how I looked .  I was just going to the beach anyways . I walked outside and thew my beach bag in my car and walked back inside forgetting my phone . I nearly ran head first into Stephen on the way out . I fumed with anger and glared up at him . 
" Die . In . A . Whole . " I said , spacing out my words with a deadly tone .

He rolled his eyes .

" You know you missed me , Annie girl . " he said .
" No , not really . Go tye yourself to a few train tracks and THEN ask me . " I snapped .

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair .

" Where ya headed ? " he asked me.

" None of your bussiness. Piss off . " I hissed , obviously angry .

Stephen clenched his jaw and glared at me , shooting his hand out so that he had me pinned against my car .
" Now look ! I'm trying to be better ! And you're not making this easy on me . " he growled .

I crossed my arms over my chest and narrowed my eyes.
" It's not supposed to be easy . You're an ass . "

He slammed his fist down on my car and kept me pinned there , moving his lips to my ear .
" I won't stop until you're mine again , Anne . " he whispered into my ear , sending shivers down my spine  . 

Stephen smirked , seeing me shiver and was just about to kiss my neck when someone cleared thier throat . I stretched on my tip toes to see over Stephen and was relieved to see Alek . I pushed away from Stephen and walked over standing next to Alek , knowing that Alek was safe .

" I just was going to return this . I think you dropped it when you fell in the woods . "Alek said , sliding my charm bracelet back on my wrist .
" I hadn't even noticed I'd lost it . " I muttered .

He chuckled at me and glared at Stephen. Stephen was obviously upset and he crossed his arms over his chest . 

" Who the hell are you ? " Stephen snapped . 

Alek looked down at me and I grabbed his hand gently . 

" Alek Aristov . I believe Miss Anne ordered a knight in shining armour and so here I am . " he winked . 

I rolled my eyes , but smiled . 

" Sorry , but I think the job is filled . " Stephen snarled , about to get in Alek's face. 
" Nah . I don't think it is . I was just going to ask you if you wanted to come to the beach with me ? " I said , ignoring Stephen as I turned to Alek.

He smiled and looked down at me , brushing a stray hair from my face .
" I'd be delighted , Miss Barrett . " he said .

I smiled in return .
" Let's go . Pooka's in the back . " I said , pulling the car door open for him and then shooting Stephen a glare before I got into my own side . 

We pulled out of the driveway and I hit the pedal , not looking back . Stephen's words haunted me ...I won't stop until you're mine again , Anne .

" Are you alright ? " Alek asked , sensing my stiffness .

I nodded fakely . 
" I'm fine . " I lied .

He sighed , shaking his head .
" No you're not . You said that last night ." he said , sliding on his sunglasses .

It surprised me how well he seemed to know me .

" How do you know me so well ? " I asked him , narrowing my eyes .
" You wouldn't believe me if I told you . " he muttered .

I sighed , running a hand through my hair .

" Try me . " I said , raising an eyebrow .
He chuckled .
" Maybe some other time . " he said . 

It was quiet the rest of the ride and as soon as we got to the beach , it started to get cloudy . 
" Oh great . " I muttered . 

The beach wasn't very crowded as we walked close to the shoreline , next to the waves . I slid off my flip flops , holding them in my hand as I closed my eyes , feeling the breeze pull through my dark hair and the cool water on my feet  . I fluttered my eyelids open , hearing the sound of Alek's phone go off . He looked down at it and shook his head with a sigh . 
" Is everything okay ? " I asked .
" Just an old friend of mine . She was my best friend for awhile . " he said thoughtfully .
" What was her name ? " I asked .
" Kathy . Kathy Swan . " he said , looking down .

I looked up at the cloudy sky just as it started to rain and looked over at Alek with a playful smile on my face . I grabbed his hands and pulled him , running through the shallow water in the rain .
" Where are we going ?! " he asked , laughing.
" Over there . " I said , pointing to the peer in the distance .

" Why ?! "  he asked , still chuckling . 
" Shut up and run . " I said ,  still running . We got under the deserted peer just as the rain started to come down harder and I was panting . 
" I knew it was going to do that . " I said , rolling my eyes , still soaking wet .

Alek shook his head with a small smile .

" What is it ? " I asked him , leaning against the wood pillar keeping the peer up .
" I just ..... you remind me so much of someone . " he said , looking at me .
" Who ? " I asked , curiously .
" A woman named Kalena . " he said .

" Kalena . Pretty name . Was she your ..... girlfriend ? " I asked , knowing I should probably shut up . He sighed , leaning against the opposite pillar from me . 

He nodded . 
" Yeah . I guess she was . " he said , looking off over the crashing waves in the distance .
" What happened ? " I asked , really wanting to know what had happened .

Alek looked down at his feet as if he was looking for words .
" She .... died . "

I felt a twinge in my heart and walked over grabbing his hand .
" I'm sorry . " I said .

 He looked down at our hands and then up at me . Putting a hand on my cheek , he sighed , stroking my pale cheek gently . 
" I shouldn't even be hear . I shouldn't have cared about you , but I had to know you . " he murmered .

I was confused by this and wanted to know what he was talking about .
" What are you talking about ? " I asked , feeling a little hurt .

" I love you , Anne . I love you like Ioved Kalena . I love you so much . " he said , looking into my eyes . 

I gulped . Nobody had ever said that to me . Except of course my mother , but I knew that was something entirely different .  I shook my head  , backing away from him. 
" This can't be happening to me " I muttered .
" I'm sorry . But , it IS happeneing to you . I'm sorry if I offended you . " he said mournfully .

I was scared . Mainly because all of this was new to me and maybe because just maybe I loved him back . And so I just started running . I didn't know where I was going as I ran out into the pouring rain and started to run down the beach .