Chapter 1

* Anne *

It was the usual type of sunny day in downtown Elk Cove , Maryland . At least I thought it was . It was the first day of summer and it was hard to believe the school year was already over .Not that I was complaining . I hated school so the sooner it flew by , the better . I was walking through town in my jeans and a tight v-neck in a deep smokey sky blue color when I saw my friend , Haylie . She saw me and smiled , walking over . I knew we were secretly both happy to see eachother here . We've never really fit in . I mean, this was my home town and I loved it and in a way , we DID fit in , but sometimes we just felt awkward . I guess everyone has those times . 

" Hey , Annie . " she greeted me with a small smile.

I returned it .

" Hi , Hayl . "

" Can you believe it's actually summer already ? " she said excitedly .

I laughed and nodded .

" Actually , yes . Yes I can . You know what that means .... " I said trailing off , looking at her with a knowing glance .

We both laughed and exclaimed " BEACH ! " Maryland had alot of beaches and alot of water , but Rahobeth beach was less crowded and so that was where we liked to go .  

" We could go today , if you wanted . " I offered . 

I'd just gotten my lisence early . Like litterally a few days before school let out. 

She nodded . 

" Sure . " she smiled .

I nodded , grabbing her hand .

" Come on then . No need to be slow !" I laughed , pulling her along as we made our way to my house . 

She laughed and we got to my colonial house in the spread out development of Colonial Acres . My house was the last house in the north end of the turn around . We had one of the biggest lots and we'd worked very hard on making it one of the most beautiful places in the nieghboorhood . Haylie lived at the end of the south road by the end of the cornfield owned by the farmer that lived down the road . I was happy that living in the north end gave me access to the small creeks and rivers on our side . In fact , our nieghboors across the street have been trying to sell thier house for years so they never used the creeks . That means more water time for me .  And it was a pretty wooded development .  I was snapped from my many observations about the nieghboorhood when Haylie sighed . 

" What is it ? " I asked her , crossing my arms .

" I don't have a swim suit . "  she mumbled .

I burst out laughing .

" You always barrow my swimsuits . And you're just NOW complaining that you don't have one ? " I asked as we walked threw the house and upstairs to my room with the wide window and the awards on the walls .

She shrugged.

" I guess you're right . "

" You GUESS. Pfft . " I muttered , pulling out a swimsuit for her .

We were about to talk about something else when we heard the sounjd of a truck outside .Haylie and I looked at eachother and then ran to the window , looking out of it as a big moving truck pulled in across the street followed by an exspensive car that must've cost more then the house.

" Guess they Roger's sold that place afterall . " I muttered , watching as 2 young men got out of the car .

They were actually pretty good looking . I was extremely surprised .