chapter 7

"I can't change something I've born with"

━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━

Ananya's POV

10 days later, Friday.

It was the first week of lab for this semester. I have handled tons of classes like this since my days as a TA, but it always scares me. The fact that the students are only in their first year and in organic chemistry mistakes can happen anytime, causing me to be extra cautious. It could be misuse of an apparatus or accidental spill of chemicals. These kind of accidents are most likely to happen in the first week of lab.

Fortunately, I have survived so far while making a career that requires me to live in the lab almost all day with no major accidents. A little accident might have occurred during my postgraduate research experiments, but I was not the sole cause for it.

It is important to make sure the students obtain a good outcome, but what is even more important for me is that they should conduct the experiment safely and no one gets hurt.

I did a quick glance all over them, 21 students standing in groups of three. Each group have their own bench, and own drawers filled with necessary apparatus.

Then, I walked from the first bench being nearest to the front desk until the one at the end nearby the fume hood. I looked thoroughly at each student, making sure they were wearing all the PPEs appropriately.

After checking the group at the last bench, I walked back to my desk while running through the lab safety warnings.

"Since this is your first lab week, the procedures aren't that complicated. You will be using some chemicals that are quite hazardous. Be extremely careful with them. Lab coats, gloves, masks, and goggles. Wear it all the time!

"I want you all to be very careful with the phenol. It will burn a hole through you. Be mindful when setting up the apparatus for distillation. You can call me or the lab assistants if you have any questions. Of course, we will guide you along the procedure, however don't be afraid to ask for help."

I read through the procedure step by step with them, so I can know that they know. I can see many genuine nods here and there, which tells me that this class is not that hopeless at all. They will do just fine.

The experiment began, and once again I walked from one bench to another, checking their jotter notes but not marking them yet. I'm one of the lecturers that likes to drill the students about the procedure and their outcomes when they come to get the jotter marked at the end of lab session.

30 minutes later,

Crash

A loud, shattering sound boomed in the lab.

Everyone froze and turned their head turned toward the source, including me. A student was screaming in pain with broken glasses around her feet.

Wasting no time, I hurried to find out what happened.

"She accidentally poured the phenol onto her hand."

Oh, fuck me.

The girl was still in shock and screaming in pain. I dragged her across the lab, made her get out the contaminated lab coat and other safety wears. I threw her under the safety shower. Gallons of cold water washed her entirely.

As I was dragging her, I asked the lab assistant to call the EMTs so the student could get to the ER of the hospital. Thank God, it's nearby.

I quickly made a call to another lecturer who was also in charge of this lab session. I explained to her the situation and asked her to take over while I help the student get treatment.