Chapter 11: Best as it ever could be.

I woke up in fresh blankets as the rain poured outside, making it icy cold. We were going to meet his parents for lunch again today and mine over video call before leaving. I slipped out of the blanket. Thank god today was a Sunday I have no idea how I would've managed to wake up for class had there been one today.

Nils slept on his stomach, his back slowly rising up and down in soft motions. I smiled, as I leaned down put my hands in his hair and kissed his temple.

I went into the kitchen and started whisking some egg whites and other stuff for pancakes. And as I prepared the kitchen isle with plates, glasses, juice, syrup and cut up fruits I could hear Nils groaning waking up wondering where I was or better yet where he was. I started making the pancakes flipping them as he got up and hugged me from the back his hands trailing inside my shirt until my ribs. "Mmm pancakes." He said resting his head on my head and being half asleep. I finished the pancakes with as much as low moments as I could as he half napped and half stayed awake on me. I couldn't disturb him, it was rare when he slept well. 

We sat down with him finally being awake munching on pancakes looking out the foggy and wet environment out. "Why can't we just go to sleep... it's so comfy" He said, "Well fiance, somebody has to tell our families about the new addition to their household." I said. He smiled as he looked up and bit his lower lip smiling, "Show me the ring, wife-to-be."  I put up my hand next to my face flashing the ring and smiling wide. Snap, his phone camera shutter clicked. I bent over his phone to see how I looked. Messy bed hair with his T-shirt on which was slipping from one shoulder, I looked goofy. And I regretted doing that a little as he put it as his story.

He then took me to the bedroom after we were done with breakfast and sat me down in front of his laptop and showed me the clip. There was a professional photographer yesterday night who clicked those photos and the people there had clicked the video. It was just amazing. We selected a few photos to be framed. We talked about moving in and me taking the bus for my college every day and it was a manageable expense. 

We got dressed, I in a simple yellow sundress with black stockings and jacket and him in a full sleeves round neck black t-shirt and pants. And we sat down for a video call. My parents already aware that we were going to call at that time to announce "some news" excitedly picked up the call. They greeted us good morning according to our time and we wished them good evening. We announced the news and they weren't completely happy, I mean I got it was still 20. I talked it with them, about moving in and waiting. In the end they said they trusted me and it was their job to worry and they were happy as long as I was and I was asked to be aware about my decisions and my future. They looked happy enough when we cut the call as we left to meet Nils' parents.

Sitting  in the car, I fiddled with my ring. I was feeling uneasy. I put my hand on Nils' forearm resting on the gear. "Stop the car." I said urgently, he pulled over and before the car could completely come to a stop, I got out, my stomach turned. I looked around and entered a starbucks and spilled my pancakes into the toilet. 

After I was done. I walked to the sink and washed my face and stayed there with my head hanging low. Calculating. 

I walked out and walked right past Nils instructing him to stay in the car and I'll tell him. If he comes out I won't tell him, he obeyed and sat in the car. I walked a block to a pharmacy and walked back into Starbucks with the strip. I went to the bathroom and stood while the result appeared. 

After approximately 5 minutes I sat down back in the passenger seat. Should I tell him? Should I not? Not now. After we are done meeting his parents. 

"The pancakes upset my stomach and I went to the pharmacy to get a medicine that always helps." I said as I flashed in a full smile, "And you know how much I hate vomiting." I added om. "We can meet my parents tomorrow, we can go home right now and rest if you'd like to." His voice filled with worry. "No no I think there was something in the pancakes or something, now that it is out of system I feel better." I said, he nodded and we rode on.

It was always sweet meeting his parents. We left after them having congratulated us and after having a little bit of lunch which I barely touched fearing that I would vomit again. On the car ride home all I could think of was the conversation as we all sat on the lunch table.

"So by when are you planning to get married then?" Asked Nils' Mom

"As soon as I am done with my studies." I said with a smile. "That is in 3 years." Added Nils. 

"That's ample of time to plan the wedding." She said smiling "I'd be surprised if y'all don't already start a family till then." His dad added with a jolly laughter "I would've never been able to keep my hands off this one for that long, I'd want a family soon." He added.

"I mean we are careful dad, and I'd want children after we are married as well. Not before." He said smiling and reaching to my hand and giving it a little squeeze. I smiled but from inside I was panicking.

I came home and took a bath and wore a fresh crisp nightgown. I removed the strip from the bag and I told myself that it might be a good thing as well who knows. Along with this the other side of my head said yes it'd be a dream come true to have this but what about your studies and career and what about his? What will you tell your parents? I shoved them aside knowing no matter it will all be okay until we are willing to. 

I kept the strip on his pillow and sat down on the bed reading a book. He also came out from having a shower drying his hair as he sat down. He leaned over to me and gave me a kiss. And his eyes trailed to his pillow.

"What's this?" He said taking it in his hand, "Wait that's a pregnancy test, what?" He looked at me wide eyed, "Does this mean?" He looked at me dumbfounded and I vigorously nodded yes and he rammed me with a hug. 

He broke away as I looked at him, so happy. He could of course do it, he was already on his feet, it was me who was risking it all but it was okay, it was okay as long as I was with him. "We are having a baby Nils." I said smiling and crying. 

That night he stayed up talking to my stomach about how things would go, he had it all planned perfectly well. He fell asleep in my lap and I played with his hair until I too fell asleep too.

****

I entered the church, it was a beautiful setting. Pastel pink and peach flowers and a reception tent outside. It was all perfect. I found Chris in a corner who looked a little surprised to see me there. I asked where he was. I wasn't going to stay for the entire ceremony and reception of course. She directed me to the rooms behind meant for such occasions. I opened the door and there he was, alone, fixing his suit, looking gorgeous as ever. 

{Preferred Background Music: Bellyache by Billie Eilish}