Chapter 4: The Live

I completed my graduation with flying colours. Within a month I had given in my college applications into the best design schools in Germany and along with that applied for a scholarship and a student visa and now I was packing for the University of my dreams in Germany.

Germany would be the second place that I would be going to that isn't India, before this the only time I was abroad was when I went to Singapore when I was eleven. Leaving my family behind for three years was difficult but I knew that I would flourish and that I would grow more and more independant. After an exhausting flight and overcoming my jet lag. I finally started unpacking. I was a week early than the others and my dorm mate hadn't arrived yet. Very few people in the overall building had arrived which gave me plenty time to explore the campus and the city too.

I was getting out of a bakery with a loaf of freshly baked bread when I got a call from my mom. Since I was continuously speaking in german, I forgot to shift my tone when I talked in Hindi with Mom. I laughed it off and started walking towards a Zara store nearby. After I finished the call, I went to instagram to reply to a text whence it displayed on the upper column that Nils was live. My thumb hesitated to press the icon. But with a little struggle I clicked it open. I typed down "Hey, Nils... remember me?" And I knew it would get lost in the million messages he was receiving as I hit send. But after a few seconds delay of him reading the message and a flash of frown on his face I was about to leave the live. When I got a request to join it.

I turned around from the face of the store and sat on a bus stop bench. As I joined the live. 

"Hey Dhruvi." He said with a small smile "Did I say it right?" I hadn't yet turned on my camera. He had never seen me before this since he never followed my personal account where I posted all pictures. "Almost." I said in a sweet voice, "At least now can I get to see my fan from India?" He asked with a bored voice, "Your fan..." I turned on the camera and held it in front of my face as I tilted the phone to display the surroundings "is way near than you realise." I smiled at the camera and his face lit up "You got in?" he asked "Yes." I said laughing. "Dang we need to meet then." He said "Now Nils, if you meet one fan in Germany all the others will get upset." I said in a joking tone "I'm sorry for the way I reacted when we last talked." He said in a low tone "We are on a live not a video call." I tried to remind him. "Ohh shi-" He said as he kept his hand on his mouth, "I better get going, you can always text me Nils." I said as I left the live. 

I opened my dms and texted him my number I switched off the phone and went into the store bought some clothes and got into the next bus back to campus. I looked at my reflection in the bus window and I examined how I would've looked to the person who had never seen me before. I wore a simple black polo neck and a overall jacket and my black hair was up in a half bun and just simple jewellery and very little make up to supplement I looked decent enough. I got into the room and noticed my roomate had finally arrived. 

I rammed into her as she was bringing a box outside. "Oh sorry, I'm so clumsy." She apologised as she looked at me through the strands of her golden hair falling out of her bun and her brown roots visible. She wore a polo neck just like me but shorts below. "It's alright," I said I removed my jacket "I'm Dhruvi, nice to meet you...?" I asked as I put forward my hand "Madeline but you can call me Maddy." She said as she balanced the box on her torso and shook my hand. "Do you need any help?" I asked "No I'm good, just taking out this empty boxes I'm done setting up stuff." I looked over to her side of the room and everything looked fundamentally well arranged I was impressed that at least she won't be triggering my OCD from time to time. 

As I sat down and removed my boots my phone rang. Unknown number. 

"Hey, it's Nils." said a voice as I picked up the phone. 

{Preferred Background Music: Friends by Chase Atlantic}