The Announcement

It started like any other morning. Breakfast was eaten by 7am; I was washed and dressed by 8am and out the door by precisely 8:17am.

My walk to Haymitch's is uneventful, not that it would be eventful considering it is two doors down from mine. As I reach the door I slip my hand in to the hanging basket Ms Everdeen installed and grasp the key.

"Wake up Haymitch!" I call as I make my way down the corridor, sidestepping the empty liquor bottles scattered on the floor. "Today's important and you asked me to ensure you were awake." As I reach the kitchen I peer inside. The tabletop is covered in dirty dishes and the chair is piled with laundry which looked like it required washing 3 decades ago.

As I head towards the study I see movement from the corner of my eye. As I turn my neck I see Haymitch standing at the door of his pantry, browsing the items inside.

"Find anything nice?" I ask him "I can make you something if you like?"

"No thanks, I think I'll just stick with a banana. I got then yesterday and it requires no effort to prepare." As he breaks a banana from the bunch and takes a seat on the remaining vacant chair, I take a seat against the wall.

"What do you think it will be?" I ask "The quell?"

"Torture. Torture and humiliation. That's what it will be." He says angrily, kicking the chair which held the laundry. "You know what's worse? All eyes will be on us. The only remaining quell survivor and the most recent victors. I expect to be extra drunk in the upcoming weeks."

"Don't say that Haymitch. Katniss and I are going to need your support. You know how this works."

"I'm sure you'll figure it out. You have a brain don't you?"

I get slightly offended by his last statement but brush it off none the less. "I'm going to clean Haymtich. Your house is a state and Katniss is coming over later to watch the announcement. You know that she will moan at you about it. You can even help if you like." The only reply I get is a grunt so I stand and brush the dirt off my trousers. At least I will be busy today.

It's 2pm by the time I have the kitchen and hallway clean. Haymich joined in half heartadly about 1 but I appreciated the help. As Haymich takes a seat at the now clutter free table I decide we have earned a decent lunch. I hastily put on my coat and head out the door, saying a quick farewell to Haymich.

As I make my way towards the bakery I take note of how quite it is around the district. People know the announcement is today so a lot will keep inside to spend the day with the family. It is with the exception of people who work, although they will be finished by 3 today in order to be home in time for the announcement.

As I reach the bakery I spot my mother working behind the counter. She seems happy which means it's been busy this morning. As I push open the door I hear the bell ring and my mother looks towards me.

"Peeta!" She exclaims "So nice to see you. You haven't been here in a couple of days. Your father and I have missed you."

"You know you are more than welcome to visit. The offer still stands if you want to move in aswell. I really don't mind."

"You know we would never leave our home. It holds too many memories. We really appreciate you offer however. So what can I do for you today?"

"I came to get something for lunch for Haymitch and myself. We had a busy day of cleaning and have worked up quite the appetite. What do you suggest?"

"We have the nicest poppy seed buns in. I could whip up some eggs or bacon and make you both a couple of rolls."

"That would be lovely." I tell her "How much will it come to?"

"You know you don't have to pay Peeta."

"I know but I feel obliged. I have all my Capitol winning and nothing to spend them on. It the least I could do."

As she hands me six buns I place the money on the counter and bid my farewell.

When I arrive back at Haymitch's I realise I have been gone an hour and Katniss is sitting with Haymitch in one of the living rooms. I hand them each a bacon roll and we sit together on the sofa in anticipation of the the announcement.

I'm just finishing off my second roll when the TV turns on and the anthem of Panem sounds. As it starts to fade out President Snow appears on the screen, holding a silver envelope between his fingers.

"Greetings to the citizens of Panem. I am here to announce the upcoming quarter quell. As we know it's been 75 years since the end of the dark days and it is because of that we currently hold the annual Hunger Games." He slips his index finger under the seal of the envelope and breaks it apart. "Now, for the 75th Hunger Games and third quarter quell. In order to show that every district remains equal to each other, there will be only one reaping which will take place in the district of the latest victor and 24 names will be picked from a bowl including the names of the children in the appropriate age bracket from all districts. No volounteers allowed. Happy Hunger Games!"

"What does that mean?" Katniss asks

"That means the games are going to be different this year. There is a chance no one from Distric 12 will be reaped, but there is also a chance all 24 will be from here. It really is just down to luck." Haymitch replies

---------------------
What do you guys think? I hope you liked it. Vote and leave comments to tell me what you think. Check out my other story Hayffie- Their story