11. To New Beginnings

It was already starting to get dark as we left the estate, so when we reached Diane's apartment on the other side of town, the sun had fallen completely beyond the horizon and glittering lights freckled the purple sky. I took my time admiring it as Meliodas rounded the car to open my door for me.

I've been letting him do that lately.

"Have fun and be safe," Chandler called out before we shut the door. We both nodded and smiled before saying goodbye, turning our backs on the fleeting vehicle.

"Ready?" Meliodas asked as he squeezed my hand. I looked down at our intertwined fingers and smiled, squeezing back.

"Don't be nervous, you'll like them," I said, trying to comfort him. He denied his nerves, but I could tell by the way he kept fiddling with the cuffs of his jacket, he was a little nervous.

As we climbed the stairs towards Diane's apartment building, I savored the feeling of his hand in mine. I know I said I would take it slow, but being forced to take it slow by keeping it a secret, only made me want it more.

We escaped the night air as we walked into the building and made a beeline for the elevator. A few people were already waiting for it, and I glanced at Meliodas.

"It's going to be a full-on night, Diane and King don't hold off when it comes to these sorts of things. A lot of people, drugs probably, that kinda stuff," I patted my bag to make sure my phone and other essentials were inside. Meliodas eyed the other guests and nodded.

Ding!

The elevator doors opened and Meliodas let go of my hand to guide me inside by the small of my back. I smiled at the other guests as we trailed in after them. It was a tight squeeze, but I didn't mind. Meliodas stood behind me, slightly to the left with his hands on my hips.

As the elevator doors shut and we began our ascend, the chatter continued. I slowly looked at Meliodas over my shoulder.

His eyes were already on me as I met his gaze, and I felt him pull me closer. My back was pressed flush against his chest, and I bit my lip as I turned around.

The doors opened again and music instantly sounded from her apartment door.

King and Diane had bought the entire top floor of some fancy apartment about twelve months ago and had renovated it so all of the rooms were combined into their one house. Everyone fled the elevator as I examined the new art pieces they had installed in the corridor in front of their door.

As the guests gushed about what they'd done to the floor, Diane flung the door open and greeted her guests.

"Hey everyone, come on in!" She called out, a silver platter in her hand with flutes of champagne. She was clearly hyper-fixated on the color purple at that moment because she wore a purple mermaid dress, dark purple shoes, and accessorized with an amethyst necklace and ring. Despite looking somewhat crazy, she was still gorgeous.

Everyone followed her orders and congratulated King and herself for the exciting news.

When we reached the door, I greeted her with a big smile and leaned toward her to plant a kiss on her cheek. She returned the gesture and pulled me to her side.

"Hey love, I see you brought the bodyguard along," she smiled at Meliodas. She let me go to give him her hand, which he raised to his lips.

"Congratulations, to you and King," he smiled, letting go of her hand.

"How kind," Diane looked at me with a smirk, making my cheeks red. "You look gorgeous by the way, I bet he couldn't keep his hands off you during the ride here," she teased, winking at Meliodas.