Chapter 24

"Music is the literature of the heart; it commences where speech ends." 

- Alphonse de Lamartine

Hailey POV

It's been a month since I last saw Asher and two months since I left his house.

My life went back to normal, almost as if nothing had ever happened between us, my name is not passed around in the media anymore and nobody even remembers my name or face when I pass people on the street.

It's been some time but, I'm starting to feel happy again.

I no longer live with Ivan as I've moved out of his place and rented an apartment with Rafael. I now work nights after my classes at the restaurant and I couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity, it's given me more time to prep for my exams and become more ready for graduation.

Graduation is tomorrow and I couldn't be more proud of myself for finally finishing it till the end, it's taken me five years to get here with my money troubles but here I am.

I decided (After stating my case many times to Rafael) That I didn't want to celebrate tonight, I want to be nice and fresh for tomorrow, after all, it's not every day that I see him show his face.

I can't believe that he's coming.

Replaying the day over in my head makes me chuckle at how much I actually can't believe this is happening.

24 hours ago.

My phone rings on the bedside table and I roll over to the side to grab it.

Clenching my eyes to look who it is, I almost drop my phone

'Dad is calling you..'

What the freaking hell is going on, I answer the call and put the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

Theirs some noise on the other end that almost sounds like a helicopter whirring. 

"Ailey? Ca... you hear ..m?" He asks, his voice cracking from cutting out. "Stup...fuc... hone."

I was about to open my mouth but then the call goes dead, I move the phone from my ear and stare at my phone in utter confusion.

When was the last time I heard from him? A single phone call from him? What could he possibly be phoning me now for? And he hangs up, why did he even bother to call me..

I decide to get up and go shower and brush my teeth, once I get out and get dressed, my phone rings again, but this time it's an unknown number.

Damn, should I pick it up? It's probably someone calling as a mistake.

Sighing I answer the phone. "Hello?" I answer slightly annoyed. I've had so many crack phone calls since Asher that whenever an unknown number calls me now I can't help but get snappy.

"Thank Christ, pardon my language." His voice comes out clear and irritated. "Hailey? It's me your-"

"Dad." I interrupt him, swallowing my emotions down. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your call?" I say, trying to keep the sarcasm from my voice.

There's a silence, then his voice comes through and he sounds tense. "I'm in town."

He's... what? In town?

I look at my phone and then put it to my ear again, still processing what he just said. "In L.A?" 

"Yes, is it possible to meet me for tea?" He asks. "You still like tea, right?" He grunts out and I blink.