Chapter 23

"Music is the moonlight in the gloomy night of life." 

- Jean Paul Friedrich Richter

Asher POV

"Asher honey, was that you singing just now?" 

My grandma! Shit, I must've sung too loud, I didn't think anyone was home, especially not Grandma, I can't believe she just heard me.

I sit on my bed awkwardly and I watch my bedroom door open, my Grandma comes in with the same gentle smile she always has on whenever I see her.

"No Grandma, it was the radio." I lie, keeping my face straight.

She chuckles and comes to sit next to me, she taps me on the leg and I see her smiling. "You know honey, you could never lie to me, your ears get red on the tip." She says, teasing me by pointing to my ears.

I groan out and hide my face from hers.

"You know Asher, you have a talent and should never hide it from me, or the world, because life is too short to hide such a gift." She says softly, standing up from the bed.

What is she saying? "No one would listen to me sing Grandma." I snort out, leaning back on the wall as I sit on my bed.

I'm just some fifteen-year-old boy if anything I sound average, but she always did make a big deal out of all the things I've been interested in, when I got into football she said I could become a professional football player until I got bored of it, she never mentioned it again unless I did.

Grandma frowns and sighs out. "You're a very talented boy Asher, you can do anything you set your mind to." 

I roll my eyes but nod my head, just wanting this conversation to end, it's embarrassing enough that she caught me singing, now she's making a big deal out of this too... "Thanks Grandma." 

Her face softens and then she smiles. "Come on my favorite Grandson, let's go eat, I made your favorite!" 

"I'm your only Grandson, Grandma." I joke while grinning as I'm getting off the bed.

Her eyes squint and her lips twitch. "You little rascal."

I run out of the room laughing, once I made it to the end of the hall I turn and see my Grandma shaking her head with a big smile on her face as she walks towards me and all I could think about was the words that she said to me.

'You can do anything you set your mind to.'

*****

I wake up with the worst headache I've ever experienced.

Yet, I can't believe I had that dream again, what's it been.... two years? That dream used to haunt me. I can still hear her voice telling me those words that I clung onto, the words I set as my motto in life, 'You can do anything you set your mind to.'

A year later she was killed in an 'accident' but really she was run over and the driver was never caught and brought to justice, I was only sixteen when I lost her.

We had been so close, she was my best friend growing up, my mother was busy with working to provide for me as a single parent and my Grandma could barely walk so she had lived with us, but we didn't mind, she wasn't like my friends Grandma's, she said what was on her mind and was so open-minded with everything.