Recognition

Next Shift

Delilah's POV

I get to shift, and Gallo comes looking for me. "Hey Lieutenant, Chief wants to see you in his office." He says. "Thanks Gallo." I say. I make my way to chief's office. I wonder what this is about. I walk in and see DC Hill. She shakes my hand. "Good to see you again Averton." She says. "Good to see you too." I say. "Take a seat." She says signalling me to the seat. She grabs her brief case and pulls out some photos. "I bet you wondering why I asked to see you." She says. I nod. "Well, these came to my attention." She says showing me the images of the rope rescue from last shift. "They've blown up online many with the hero, saviour and even superhero caption and I thought this deserves some recognition." She says. I smile. " I would like to of course give you a commendation but more importantly, I know you know what the firefighter of the year awards are so I would like to nominate you for it." She says making me smile. "Thank you, Deputy Commissioner Hill, this is a massive honour." I say. "No, Thank You Lieutenant." She says. "Also, I noticed the rock on your finger and would like to say a big congratulations on the engagement." She says. I smile "Thank you, I'm a lucky lady." I say. She walks out and goes and talks to Stella. "You need me for anything else Chief." I ask. "No that's all Lieutenant." He says. I walk out and close the door behind me. "What was that all about." Stella asks. "I got a nomination for the firefighter of the year awards and a commendation from the rope rescue I performed last shift." I say. Stella stands up and gives me a big hug. "Damn, I'm so proud of you, that's a big deal only 5 people get nominated a year." She says. "Yeah, that's what I thought." I say. "Well, you know if you win, you'll be the first women in CFD history to win that award right." She says. I look at her "Really, well let's not get ahead of ourselves in that department." I say. "Either way I think your one of the first women to even be nominated." She says. Chief walks out of his office. "You two coming, I'm going to announce the nomination to the house now before the bells go off." He says. "Yes, were coming chief." I say. Stella and I follow Chief into the briefing room where everyone else is. Stella stands in front of Kelly and leans on him whilst I stand beside him. Chief stands up the front. "I've got something to share with you all, our very own Delilah Averton has been nominated for the firefighter of the year awards for the amazing save she made at the elementary school fire last shift." The room erupts into cheers, and everyone looks at me. Kelly grabs my face and turns me to look at him "You best win." He says and I laugh. 'Kelly, it's not she best win, we just know she will win." Stella says. "Well, you're both incorrect I'm going to come last." I say. "Quiet down everyone I wasn't finished, as you know if someone is nominated from your house and shift everyone attends so when the ball takes place, I expect you all to be there with either a plus one or nobody to support Delilah." Chief says and we all nod. "That's all." He says and we walk out into the common room. I grab my phone out of my pocket and see a text from Jay. It says "Just seen this, how are you so hot." With an attachment of an image. "Oh my." I say. "What." Stella say. I show her my phone and she sees the photo of me and the announcement that I got nominated for firefighter of the year. "Did you just google yourself or something." Stella asks making me laugh slightly. "No, Jay sent it to me, apparently it got press released." I say. "Or he searched you up because he misses you and wanted to see your face." Brett says which makes us all laugh.

The Next Afternoon

Delilah's POV

Brin was back in school today for the first time after the fire. They had transportable classrooms installed the last few days since to fill in for the front block which was affected by the fire. I arrive at her school and go to her classroom which is on the back of the oval according to the email I got from the teacher the other night. I head to her class and see all the parents waiting outside. I see Alisha Walker the mother of the two girls I saved, and she walks towards me and hugs me tight. "I don't think there is enough words to explain how thankful I am for you and that you were there when the fire started." She says. "I'm sure anyone would have done the same in my shoes." I say. "I doubt that many would have waited for backup, but you didn't." she says. "I just wanted to do what I would do if that was my kid trapped in the fire." I say. "Well, we all can't thank you enough." She says pointing at all the other parents. I smile. She looks at my left hand, "Omg you didn't." she says. "I did." I say with a big smile on my face. She hugs me again. "Well congratulations, tell Jay I said congratulations too." She says. "I will." I say. I walk and wait with the other parents and get many more thank you's and gratitude messages before the kids walk out of their classes. "Hey Baby, how was your day." I say. "It was weird being in a new classroom but fun." She says. "That's good." I say as I grab her bag from her. "Bye guys." I say to all the parents before walking off with Brin.

AN: I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter of the story :)