𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗐𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗒 𝗍𝗁𝗋𝖾𝖾- 𝘪𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦

ALEX LOOKED AT the clock on his bedside table, letting out a groan. It was midnight and he wasn't sure why he was not able to fall asleep.

He stood up, rubbed his eyes, and got out of bed.

Opening the door, he walked out of his bedroom and started heading the way to the backyard.

«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»

When he reached the backyard, Alex sat down on the grass and pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket.

He pulled one out and lit it up, starting to smoke it.

He laid down on the grass, an arm under his head, staring at the window of Daphne's room.

The curtains were closed but the light was still on— which Alex slightly frowned at.

He tore his eyes away and started to stare at the stars in the sky instead, taking a drag of his cigarette.

His head snapped to the side when he heard the rustling of leaves.

He squinted his eyes, trying to figure out who it was.

A person walked out behind the bushes, coughing.

Alex's eyes widened. "Draco?"

Draco stopped coughing, slowly looking at the other boy. "Hello, Alex."

Alex immediately stood up, dropping his cigarette in the process. "What are you doing here? How the hell are you even here?"

"I needed to see you."

"In the middle of the night? What if the Dark lord saw you?!" whispered the boy, appalled.

Draco shrugged. "Look, Alex. I just wanted to tell you that—" he stopped, not knowing what to actually say.

What was he supposed to say, anyway?

Alex put his hand in his pockets, waiting patiently.

Draco stared at him, noticing the way his black hair was being blown by the wind. Noticing the way Alex's brows furrowed in concern.

Alex tried to look away from Draco as it was too painful to even look at him but he didn't. The pain was worth seeing those grey eyes.

"Alex, I'm so sorry," whispered Draco finally after a couple minutes.

"As am I, Draco."

Draco sat down on the grass and Alex did the same, not near but not far either.

"How's Daphne?"

Alex stilled at the question. "She's well. How's Astoria?"

"She's fine," mumbled Draco, starting to pick at the grass, not looking at the boy.

"The Dark lord has been at your manor often these past few days, hasn't he?"

Draco nodded without a reply.

Alex sighed.

"Are you happy with her?" Draco asked suddenly, finally looking at him again.

Alex laid down, his eyes stuck on the boy. "I haven't felt happy in years, Draco."

"Would you have been happy with me? If— if everything was different?"

"Maybe," replied Alex without missing a beat.

Draco also laid down, a hand under his head, looking at the sky. "I would've been happy, too."

"You're not happy with Astoria?"

"It doesn't matter."

"I'm sorry, Draco."

"Don't be." Draco shook his head, letting himself look at Alex.

"I would've made you the happiest person in the world," whispered Alex.

"Maybe in another life, yeah?"

Alex's lips quirked upwards into a sad smile. "Maybe in another life."