Chapter 6: The Incident, Pt.1 (Finding Derik)

Beginne am Anfang

Milos stood, troubled, conflicted.  Suddenly a voice interrupted us.  It was Nemain with Thad and the other Council members.  "Milos, tar anseo!  Come on.  We're going back to the manor." 

"Fine," said Milos to us, "he's being held in the basement of Schulze manor, but we're going there now.  They won't just let you in.  I'm sorry, but I must go now.  You're on your own," then he left us and joined the Council. 

"What is Schulze manor?"

"It's where Thad and his family live," said Willa, "it's also where the Council meets."

"Where is it?"

"I know where it is," Willa answered. 

"Then let's go."

"How are you going to get in?  No one gets in unless they're Council members or family."

"I'll think of something.  Come on, lead the way."  With that, we got in my car and left behind the merriment and gaiety of the festival to make our way to Schulze Manor.  The orange lights and autumn festivity shrunk in the distance in our rearview-mirror.  The beautifully lit night sky did little to nothing to light our path, and the headlights of our car provided the only way we could see for the duration of our drive through the forest.

"This place must really be out in the middle of nowhere," I said, "how do you know where it is?"

"Remember how I said I was studying to be an arborist?  Well, I did some work on the trees on their property for an internship.  It's deep in the forest and surrounded by dense brush and trees.  Most people don't know where Schulze Manor really is.  I'm one of the few that do."

"So you're lucky then?"

"You could say that.  You're lucky too."

"How so?"

"If I weren't with you, how would you find your way there?"  She smiled proudly at this.  Even now, with the thought of something potentially terrible lurking around the corner, she found a way to be happy.  Either that or she didn't fully understand the gravity of the situation.  But then ignorance is bliss, is it not?

"So," Willa started, "where do you think you'll stay?"

"Hm?"

"Here.  You said you were going to stay here.  Do you know where you're going to stay?  Because if you don't-- well, I have a spare room that I'm not using, so if you need a place to stay, you can stay at my place.  You know, so you don't have to keep paying for a room."

"Are you sure?  I wouldn't want to put you out."

"You wouldn't be putting me out.  Come on, it'll be fun!  It'll be like college, with a dorm and dormmate and everything!"

I gave in and thanked her for her generosity.  "Dakota," she said, "I don't know if what you're saying is true or not, but I want you to know that I trust you.  Completely."

"The thing is, I really hope I'm wrong."

"Well, we'll find out together.  Turn right up ahead."  After several minutes of driving, we finally arrived just outside the gate to Schulze Manor.  "I don't think they're going to just let us in, Dakota.  We're going to have to figure something out."