Chapter 6: The Incident, Pt.1 (Finding Derik)

Start from the beginning

It was a lot to take in, for sure, but every bit of information helped. "No, it's alright," I said, "it helps." I thought for a minute about everything Willa had said as we looked around for Milos. For some reason, it seemed like this town attracts people from all over the world, and people that try to leave eventually come back, even if just through their descendants. "Willa, for such a small town, this place really seems to bring people in from all across the world, doesn't it? How is that possible when Blackgrove is so hard to find in the first place?"

Willa smiled and shrugged at me. "Blackgrove is magical, remember? Come on, I think I see Councilman Milos." I followed her through the crowd and noise.

"Excuse me, Councilman Milos?" said Willa, "I was wondering if we could speak with you for a minute."

Milos turned around and his eyes grew wide when he had seen who was speaking to him. "Uh, hello young Willa. I'm afraid I don't really have time right now. I must go. I have things to do. Yes, many things." He tried to leave but Willa grabbed his hand and said, "oh but it'll only take a minute. Please. This is my friend Dakota. We just had a few questions for you. It'll be really quick."

"I— Willa, I must—"

"Please, sir. Just a minute." My, but was she persistent.

"Yes, yes. Fine. Speak, then."

"Thank you so much Councilman Milos!" Willa motioned to me to ask my questions.

"Councilman, about Derik, I was just wondering where you've taken—"

"I cannot tell you this."

"I just need to speak with him sir. It's important that I—"

"If this is about your room at his motel, I think the boy, Elliot, can answer your questions.  You cannot speak to Derik now." 

"Please, sir.  I know about the visions Derik had.  I've been having the same ones.  I've never been to this town before, nor have I even heard about it, but after being here for one day I started having visions and dreams about Sikhs.  I thought I was just hallucinating or having bad dreams, but since Derik saw the same things as me, I know now that I'm not crazy.  Please, sir.  You have to believe me; I think something terrible is going to happen."

As I said this, Milos, who was already very nervous before I'd started speaking with him, grew noticeably very agitated.  He was sweating bullets and his eyes grew red.  "You have no idea what you're talking about," he said, "please, just enjoy the rest of the festival."

"You know, don't you?  You and the other Council members.  You all know something bad is going to happen.  Why don't you tell people or get them out of here?"

Milos came in close and started whispering.  He smelled of cigarettes and salt water.  "You don't understand.  It's too late.  The Council won't listen to me.  I've warned them many times that Sikhs has been acting strangely in our visions.  He's been acting differently.  Like he's bored.  He doesn't care about us.  We're just his playthings.  He's been playing with us for centuries, but I fear he may be growing tired of us.  I tell them this, but they shoo me away.  'Go away, old man.  You're a fool.  Sikhs guides us, protects us.  Our sacrifices ensure our wellbeing.'"

"What do you mean, 'sacrifices?'"

"Please.  I've said too much already.  You must both forget I've said any of this."

"Milos, this town is beautiful.  I want to stay.  Be a part of your people.  But, if I'm going to do that, I need to know what I'm getting myself into."  I whispered to him, "I saw Willa in my visions.  Please.  Help me save her.  Look at her.  She doesn't deserve this.  I just need to speak to Derik.  At least help me with that."