Chapter Thirteen

"When you love someone, you can't lie to them. It hurts too much. It's a deception that goes too deep." -Abbi Glines

[Harry's P.O.V.]
I could see the tears forming in his eyes. "It's...fuck," I heard him whisper under his breath.

I made my way onto the bed and sat down beside him. I wrapped my arm around him, embracing him in a tight hug. "What happened?" I gently ask.

"It's my mom. I have to go back to Ireland for a bit," Niall stated, clearly still in a state between shock and panic.

"Oh, Niall," I pull him back into another hug.

As we pull away; Niall continues. "She's in the hospital. Diagnosed with a type of leukemia," he manages to say between sobs, "I just got a call. I told Louis to wait in the living room, he has no idea."

"Niall, I am so so sorry."

"Haz, I'm scared. I don't know what to do."

"Go visit your mom," tears begin to well in my eyes.

Mrs. Maura was a saint to everyone, this is heartbreaking. I can't even begin to understand how Niall must be feeling right now.

I let him cry into my shoulder for a few minutes before reaching for my phone that was on the bedside table. I notice I'm still naked, but couldn't be bothered to change right now; I have a towel on.

Niall received bad news regarding his mom. I'm going to help him with some stuff. Feel free to use the car to get the school, we can't go to school today. Just let the teachers know that we aren't coming. Sorry again, something came up. I'll let you know more later.

no big deal. let ni know I send my love. that's such a bummer, praying for him and his family. hope everything turns out well

Niall eventually stands up and begins to pace around the bedroom. His body becomes restless, hands fidgeting. Watching carefully, I go to my dresser and grab a t-shirt, boxers, and some sweatpants, and change. It's not a big deal, I've known Niall forever and he doesn't seem to care.

"This can't be happening," Niall mutters, moving back and forth, fixing his gaze on the carpet flooring.

I sit back down on the bed, deciding not the interfere.

"This—this isn't fair!" Niall continues. "She's..she's—this has to be a prank! Oh my god, it's probably someone wanting to prank me. I mean, but who?" He pauses. "I bet it's that one guy from the concert! He was giving me such a dirty look—"

"Niall!" I yell, but he seems to have not heard me.

"But how would he have gotten my number—or I know! It's probably that girl from the restaurant! Or that guy from—"

"Niall!" I shout louder.

His head snaps in my direction. His cheeks are tear-stained, his eyes tinted with worry.

"Niall, calm down. It's okay. It's gonna be okay," I whisper comfortingly.

"But what if it's not gonna be okay?" His voice cracks.

"It will trust me," I stand up, grabbing him for another hug. "Trust me," I mumble.

After a moment of silence Niall pipes up again, "Why can't it be me? Why does it have to be her? Please anyone but her," his voice breaks. My heart shatters into a million pieces at his words, "I love her."

I'm now sitting on my bed, the bright light from my computer screen burning my eyes. When Niall fell asleep, I closed the curtains, engulfing the room in darkness. He's currently laying on the opposite side of the bed, breath unsteady. I, however, am searching for the quickest available ticket to the beautiful town of Mullingar, Ireland—Niall's hometown.