𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐍

Start from the beginning

"She punched him?" James asked, straightening his glasses.

"No, she baked him cookies and rubbed his feet." Marlene retorted, rolling her eyes. "Of course she punched him! Right in the bloody nose!"

"And what does that have to do with me?" Remus questioned, averting his gaze from the girl for the first time. She didn't seem bothered by everything that had happened, but her plate was untouched and her hand bandaged. Remus didn't even dare to glance at Luke, anger boiling in his chest with every second that passed. He had been clear from the beginning that if he even dared to touch Callisto, he was going to make him pay and now God knows what he had said to her after she refused to sleep with him. Hell, what if he had done more than just talk? What if he had hurt her in any other way and he was too drunk to notice?

"You don't like Luke, but you like Callie." Marlene deadpanned, pointing at him with a bread stick. "It's simple math."

"We don't do math." Sirius cooly answered, grabbing the last breadstick from the bowl before Marlene could get her hands on it. "Either way, I think Luke should be punished. What about you, ladies?"

"Ladies?"

"Shut up, Marlene! It's a form of endearment."

"EnDEERment."

"Very funny, Wormtail." Sirius interjected, waving his hand dismissively. "Are we going to make Pucey cry or should I go back to my breadstick?"

"Leave it." The calmness in Remus' voice must have resembled the one before the storm, a dark look glazing over his eyes as his eyebrows furrowed together. The thing about Remus Lupin, was that he never really got angry. Sure, he had had a few outbursts over the years, but that was only because living with three blokes who could create a fire out of ice was bound to be detrimental. However, none of them had really seen him angry, except for Peter. Perhaps that was why the young boy immediately caught notice of the glint in his eyes, recognizing the electricity behind the intense gaze. Perhaps that was why he scooted Sirius under the table, knowing that for some mysterious reason, him and Callisto had reached a mutual understanding that entailed a sort of "friendship" he couldn't really comprehend. Perhaps that was why he shot James a quick look that was enough to ring an alarm all of them had prayed they would never see.

And perhaps that's when the infamous quote came in, because truly, there are three things every wise man should afraid of:

The sea in a storm, a night with no moon and the anger of a gentle man.

"Leave it? Are you bloody mental Rem?" Marlene scoffed, completely unaware of the silent exchange among the four boys. Without a second word, Remus stood up and walked away, not really bothering to pick his bag up from the floor. Marlene followed him with her eyes as he strutted out of the room, her pink lips pursed together in frustration as she turned around to meet James' gaze. "You'd think he'd get mad or some-oh lord, death is coming..."

"Calm down, Sinistra." Sirius rolled his eyes, momentarily glancing at James. "It's Remus we're talking about."

And at that point all the Marauders came to terms with the fact that it was indeed Remus they were talking about.

Hell, that was the problem...

~ ~ ~

"Callie." Narcissa whispered, looking up from her plate. Callisto averted her gaze to the blonde, confusion written all over her features at the sincere look in her friend's face. She hadn't really seen any other expression other than complete and utter apathy adorning the cold blue eyes and pursed lips; the sudden shift in demeanor taking her aback.

"Yes?"

"Are you okay?" A sense of dread started filling her, recalling very clearly how she had pretended to be asleep when the dorm door opened and Callisto came in, humming a low tune. "With Pucey, I mean..."

"Perfectly fine." Callisto shrugged, letting her fork fall on the table with a small clatter. "Uhm, I think I'll go to the library. Meet me for lunch?"

"Sure." Narcissa nodded, a small smile making its way on her lips. Callisto returned the smile, taken aback for the second time at the girl's actions. Nonetheless, she didn't complain and walked away from the table, not noticing the two empty spots, one in the Gryffindor Table right next to James Potter and the other in the Slytherin Table, where Luke Pucey should be sitted.

The Castle usually buzzed with life, but the only three times in the day you could find peace in chaos was really late in the night, really early in the morning and during meals. Callisto knew that and took full advantage of it by usually eating alone in the kitchen instead of the Great Hall, or by leaving earlier under the pretense of studying in the library. Just as she had expected, the only sound to be heard was the occasional chattering between students leaving from the feast or the distant sound of Peeves wrecking havoc in the corridor of the enchanted armors. However, she never really expected to hear loud shouting coming from one of the empty classrooms. Usually, she would have completely ignored the strange incident, but she wasn't all that keen on walking away once she heard her last name as clear as day.

A bit hesitantly, she moved closer to the door, her hand brushing against the cold, metal handle as she tried to chose between staying right where she was or barging in. Holding her breath as if she was afraid that the people inside were going to see her through the small glass square right above her head, she took a peak inside.

"If you're so into the slut, then go right ahead, Lupin!" Luke standing in the middle of the room, a spiteful expression in his dark features. Her heart clenched at the sound of Remus' name, confusion filling her. She had just mentioned that they had broken up, although judging from the various rumors spreading in the Castle, she and guessed that Remus knew by now what had happened. The problem was that even if he knew, there was no reason for him to end up in what seemed to be a rather tense confrontation.

"Don't fucking call her that!"

"OR WHAT, HUH?" He exclaimed loudly, "IF ANYTHING, I'M DOING YOU A FUCKING FAVOR! GO AHEAD AND HAVE YOUR TURN! I TOLD YOU, WHEN I'M DONE WITH HER, YOU CAN HAVE HER! I'M DONE WITH HER!"

Callisto didn't really hear what Remus said after that. The sounds coming from the classroom seemed to die down, leaving behind a startling revelation.

Remus knew?