Chapter 1

Ant felt the wind in his hair and smiled, enjoying the moment of peace before having to return to his busy life at the castle.
The snap of a twig caught the young prince's attention, and he turned to see another boy of his age. Not just any boy the prince of another kingdom.

Ant's breathing stopped for a few seconds and the two just stared at each other for a second, before all hell broke loose.
The other boy pulled a sword from his waist, as did Ant and the two broke into a frenzy of trying to lash out at each other with the blades before the other has Ant pinned under him.

"Who...the hell...are you?" The boy gets between pants, sword dangerously close to Ant's skull.
"G-get off me!"
Ant kicks the boy in the stomach and sits upright, scrambling for his own weapon and finding it just in time for the boys to face each other off.

Hesitating, Ant introduced himself with his full title, just as he'd been taught, "I am Antfrost of the Frost Kingdom. Who are you."
The boy stood straight up and spoke as if he was the most important thing on earth, "I am Red of the Velvet Kingdom."

Ant felt his breath hitch, this wasn't only another prince, but the prince of their enemy kingdom!
"W-what!? Aren't our kingdoms at war!?" Ant spits out with wide eyes.
"Y-yeah, they are," Red mumbled, looking down.

Ant suddenly remembered something and got a kick of power, "You're on our land! Why are you here!? I could have you arrested!?"
"I-I just wanted to get away from them, okay!? Fuck off!"

Ant lowered his blade slightly before putting it back up defensively.
"Get away from who?"
"My parents. They aren't the best people."
"That's sucks...but you're still the enemy!"
Red shrugged, "Are we tho? Or is it just our parents?"

Ant froze, eyes going wider than before as he realized that his perceived enemy was technically right.
The trance came to an end as an angry yell broke through the trees.
"ANT!"
It was Ant's father, obvious anger seeping into his tone as his son had run away against his will.

"Shit. You gotta go!"
Red was being pushed towards the border a moment later, protesting.
"Wait! May I see you again?"
Ant shrugged, hurriedly blurting out an answer, "Sure, sure! Now go!"

Red was across the border and running back to his castle just as Ant's father ran up to him, large hands clutching his son's shoulders.
"What do you think you're doing on here? You aren't meant to be out here alone! Especially now with the war going on, you know this!"

Ant didn't pay attention as he was scolded, just looking into the distance after Red.
"I understand father," Ant said mindlessly as he shook his head vigorously.
"Good. Return home."
"Yes, father."

At home, Ant lay on the bed and gazed into the ceiling as he thought of Red and realized what he'd agreed to.
Gods, what had he done? He'd agreed to meet the son of his enemies at the border!
This couldn't be good. He was going to be ambushed, killed, or even held hostage by the enemy!

However, something told Ant to go. Go back to the border and see Red again.
He didn't know what drove him to want to, but he felt a burning urge to return and meet the other prince.

Should he? Gods, should he? Maybe he would. Yes, he would.
That was the last thought that passed through his mind before being called down by his father.