Chapter - Nineteen

En başından başla

I take her hand and squeeze it. “Jess come on,”

She opens her mouth as I watch her expectantly, I actually think that she’s going to tell me what the problem is but instead she turns away and slams her face into the pillow.

“Jess!” I move down to where her head is laying. I stroke her hair and wait patiently until she is ready to speak. I gently push her head so that I can swing my legs on to the bed and rest my back against the headboard.

After a few minutes of silence Jess pushes herself into a seating position then snatches the remote from me and switches off the television that I was just getting stuck into.

She settles herself in front of me with her legs crossed. I can feel a big speech coming on, but what would it be about I think to myself? This was supposed to be our first date after Jess coming back from holiday and after our break up which Jess claims she did accidentally when she was in a drunk state and was not herself so therefore the break up didn’t mean a thing. But then, don’t people speak the truth when they are drunk anyway?

But I don’t say anything and sit quietly and wait for her to speak.

“Well you see the thing is...,” she trails off and looks down her hair shading her face.

But you know my patience is running out, there’s only so much patience a man can have in these situations.

“Jessie will you please just tell me.” I say in a serious tone, showing her that I’m not up for messing about a minute longer. But for some reason this doesn’t make her cry more like I thought, instead she lifts her head up until it’s level with mine and bites her lip, then she nods slightly.

“Okay, the thing is...I’m pregnant.” She watches me very carefully. But I’m too shocked to react, then sense kicks in and I jump off the bed.

“What do you mean you’re pregnant?” I growl, glaring at her with pure hatred.

She lets out a howl and curls into a ball on the bed and starts to cry again.

“Jessie what the hell are you talking about? You can’t be pregnant you just can’t be.” My voice has risen a couple of notches, which makes her sit up and shake her head vigorously at me.

“Be quiet!” she says putting a finger to her lips and nodding towards the door.

“You must be mad! What do you mean be quiet? There’s nothing to hide, you aren’t pregnant, that’s impossible.” I shake my head trying to clear the ridiculous idea from my head and laugh. Jessie is just playing some stupid prank on me; of course she’s not pregnant.

“Mason, I’m not joking.” She says quietly.

There’s something different in her voice that tells me she’s not joking, suddenly my laughter dies away and I stand still in shock. Horrible shock.

“But we’ve never even had...,” I tail off ad stare at her in disgust. That little slag, I walk forward toward her with my arm raised.

“Mason no!” she screams trying to duck out of the way. Just before my hand makes contact with her cheek, sense washes over me and I drop my arm.

I sink down onto the bed and hold my face in my hands, I just can’t believe this. How could she do this to me?

“Mason?” I feel her hand on my shoulder but I shake it off, I don’t want her to touch me.

“I’m going.” I stand up and just as I put my hand to the handle she says something.

“It was Kaylan.” Her voice is like a bomb, it explodes in my head and all over again I feel great anger wash over me.