The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 4

*A/N: If you have read my novel, The Crimson Claymore and enjoy the story, I need your help. I am beginning my career as a published author. I NEED reviews on Amazon & Goodreads. If you like this story, PLEASE REVIEW IT ON AMAZON & GOODREADS!! I need reviews on Amazon & Goodreads. I need readers to be able to trust me, and for that I need reviews. PLEASE THE MAGE AND THE FRECKLED FROG, DIAMONDS UNDER A HICKORY TREE, AND THE CRIMSON CLAYMORE on Amazon & Goodreads!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. I'm trying to start my career as an author, but readers who don't know me won't take a chance on me if I don' t have reviews to back me up. I love you guys, and will continue to release my unedited stuff here before publishing for money. I will always be looking for beta readers and reviewers. If you cannot afford to buy my stuff, I will give you free copies of my new releases in exchange for an honest review on AMAZON & GOODREADS. Let me know. If you can support me by buying, please do. I really want to write full time and I need your help.

Chapter 4

The human, kheshlar, and wizard traveled relentlessly through the meadow without conversation. Searon was thankful that the wizard had kept his mouth shut during the journey. There were fewer trees to travel through ever since leaving the kheshlarn territory, and it made their path an easier one to follow. It also meant that they held less cover from wandering eyes, and so they made pace carefully. Searon only hoped the tales of the kheshlars were true-that they had sensitive hearing-and only that rumor kept him at ease through the open path.

Often he looked back at the kheshlar with scattered glances, where he studied her. He noticed her looking back at him and smiling without the attention of the wizard. Her smile was sincere, and she seemed to be studying him as much as he studied her. She had long blonde hair that sparkled in the sunlight, with waves that bounced with each stride. His eyes remained on her as often as it did the beast she traveled with. She rode on top of a jaguar, and he admired the beast's bronze fur with black spots. At first, he had been afraid of the creature when it had approached shortly after the start of their journey. Soon, he realized that the kheshlar had called the beast and she climbed atop it like he would a horse, but without a saddle! It kept high pace along with their horses, and so she hadn't slowed them in the slightest.

When the light from the stars touched them, she only seemed to glitter more in their glow. Her namesake was true, and she shone with their same intensity. It was almost as if she glowed at night, but it came and went with each smile that graced her lips. Searon wished he could get her to smile indefinitely because it brought such a profound beauty to her that he could never even dream of.

They agreed to stop to rest for the night, or at least for a time. There was nothing past their plan besides to stop and rest to find food. The kheshlar took off west through a small forest without a sound despite the scattered broken branches that lay among the bare trees. Searon decided to head east to search for wild game. His stomach was grumbling for something besides dried meat and water that filled his saddle.

He stalked the bare forest for what seemed like an hour before he heard the faint footsteps and the sound of a trickling stream. Peering through a prickly bush, he noticed a large wild boar drinking water. It shone black with stiff bristles and fine fur. Searon hadn't seen such a large boar before, and his mouth watered at the savory flavor it could create over a hot fire.

His hand dropped to the back of his sash where he grabbed an arrow from his quiver and detached his bow from his back. Its fine oak exterior molded in his hands as he remembered handcrafting it as a young man. The smooth texture rested in his left hand as he notched the steel arrow with his right. He hardly used the bow for more than hunting, and most of the time it stayed with his saddle and horse. Keeping his aim steady, he licked his left index finger and checked for wind. It was blowing to his left slightly in the same direction the small stream was heading. He held his bow tight, aiming to the right of the boar, and let go of his arrow. It whistled through the air with barely a sound, and before it could reach the boar he already had another out and notched. He didn't need the second arrow, as the first one struck the boar in the heart.