Chapter Seven: Camping Trip

Beginne am Anfang

"Oh! I remember. When is it?"

I can't believe I didn't remember immediately. The camping trip is literally the best thing about going to the West Hart High. Every year, third year students go camping and spend the night in the woods. They make a campfire, eat food and play music. There's also a lake, in which they can swim, if the weather is good. And the best part?

No teachers.

The students organise it themselves and actually have fun.

"It's tomorrow night. We meet next to the lake at seven o'clock. You're going, right? Please tell me you're going."

I laugh, "Of course I'm going. I wouldn't miss it for the world."

She exhales a breath, "Good. Okay, gotta to now. Haven't even put on my make up and Alex's gonna be here in a few, then we'll pick you up. Love you, girlie."

"Bye, love you." I say and hang up.

I glance at the mirror one last time, looking at my outfit. My dress is a little over my mid-thigh, and it's cream colored. I have on knee-high socks and my black boots. My braid is done and I'm ready to go.

Fifteen minutes later, I'm in Alex's car. I get in and say, "Hey, Alex."

He smiles in the rearview mirror and says, "Haven. How are you?"

Before I can answer, from the passenger seat, Anna says, "Haven, do you have any mascara? I didn't have time to do my make up."

She looks at Alex and attempts to glare at him. He just takes her hand and kisses her knuckles. Not even Anna can resist to smile at that.
---

"Look, there he is."

Anna whispers as I get books from my locker. She nods her head towards the group of people hanging out at Noah's locker. Including Brittany.

I close my locker door and take a deep breath. "I can't avoid him forever."

We head to our class, as I hear someone shout, "Haven, wait."

I turn around to see Noah hurrying over to us. Anna whispers in my ear, "Do you want me to stay?"

I shake my head, "No, I'll be fine. See you in a few."

She gives my shoulders an encouraging squeeze and enters the classroom. But, not before giving Noah a death glare.

I try to calm my beating heart as Noah slows down in front of me, looking uncomfortable. He rubs the back of his neck and says, "Look, I'm sorry about last night. I shouldn't have done that. I don't even know why I did it. It's just–"

"It's fine. I get it." I cut him off before he can get any more uncomfterable. It's adorable as hell, but I'm not that merciless.

He smiles, looking hopeful. "Really? You're not mad?"

I smile the best I can, "No, I'm not."

"Good. Because I really want us to be friends."

I don't know if I should feel happy or insulted. Noah Xander, the school's bad boy, known for going out with girls, wants to be my friend.

Well, so be it. I say, "Great. Friends."

He grins, and I'm surprised how fast things can go from awkward to normal between us. It's a curse as well as a blessing.

"Are you going camping tomorrow?" I ask, as we go to the classroom.

"Yeah, are you going, Noah?" Brittany suddenly appears on Noah's right side.