Chapter Four: Deal With The Devil

Chapter four!
Whoop, whoop!

First, I want to thank everyone who commented and voted, it means a lot.

And if you like it, please vote and comment. I always want to know what you think!

To the side is my version of Haven. But if you don't like Emily Rudd, or if you imagined Haven as someone else, it's fine. Like I said, this is my verion of her, it doesn't have to be yours, too.

Enjoy!
----

An alarm clock wakes me up from my dream about– um, no one... I groan, wanting a few more hours of sleep, but knowing I have ten minutes tops until my grandma comes to wake me up.

After getting up, I shower, brush my teeth and my hair, then put on today's outfit. AKA, my skinny jeans, a cute sweater and riding boots. I go downstairs and have breakfast.

As I exit my house to go to school, a newspaper grabs my attention. I can see the headline from where I'm standing, A car accident takes two lives, leaves one in a comma.

My stomach tightenes as my legs carry me to the coffe table, where the article about my parents' death is. I look around the room, making sure that I'm alone, and I take the newspaper.

'A tragic car accident that happened on the Railway Road kills Harry and Angela Winter, and leaves their daughter, Haven Winter, in a comma. It is said that it was caused by a truck driver, but we have no further confirmation. The accident was inspected by the Sheriff, John Darcy, and the details remain unknown.'

I read the date on top, February, 8th. This was a few days after the accident. Why would my grandparents keep this from me? I know well enough the newspaper was hidden, because I've never seen it before today. My grandpa must have left it on the table by mistake last night. 

As I start to read the second paragraph, a car horn fills the painful silence. I don't give my brain the chance to process what it just read, and rip the article from the newspaper, putting it back where I found it. 

I run to Anna's car and act normal. I don't say anything about the article, I need to see it for myself, first. 

Anna and I walk into our first class, Math. I curse myself silently for looking for Noah in the hallway. He's always late, anyway. Anna says she has to go to the girls' room and that she'll meet me in class.

Once in the classroom, I pull out the article and read it again. And again. Still, there is one thing that I don't get. Unknown. 

How can the details be unknown? It said that they suspected it was a truck driver who caused the accident, but that nothing is confirmed. It also said that Sheriff Darcy inspected the accident. That means he's hiding something that he doesn't want in public. But, what?

Whatever it is, I will found out.

"Why the frown?"

Anna asks as she slides into the seat on my right. I don't look up from the article I'm reading and answer her matter-of-factly, deciding not to say anything about what I'd read.

"My supermodel boyfriend broke up with me."

"No, I didn't."

Noah suddenly appears, taking the seat to my left. My heart jumps a little at the sound of his smooth voice, but I still don't look up.

When I finish reading , I look up at Noah.

"Hey, Noah."

He winks and says, "Snow."