George took a step forward, bringing them close. He lifted his hands to cup Dream's cheeks, smiling softly as he whispered, "Don't you remember?"

Dream's eyes said yes, but his mouth asked, "Why are we here?"

George flicked a thumb over Dream's cheek, ignoring the shake that he started to get used to. Dream didn't let George answer, instead asking with eyebrows pinched together, "Why are you shaking? Are you scared?"

George shook his head. Dream, with excessive cautiousness, tugged George's hands from his face. Frowning, Dream turned George's hands over in his palms, noticing how they trembled. "You're shaking," Dream muttered. "I― are you afraid of me?"

George's eyes widen and he rushes, "No, of course not! Skeppy said it was just a side effect."

"Side effect...?" Dream echoed, confused. His face contorted in realization and he stepped back, dropping George's hands. "Oh."

George reached for Dream's hands again, but Dream backed away, eyes wide and full of anger at himself. "Dream..." George muttered, flinching when Dream swore loudly.

Dream started pacing, pulling at his hair. "Oh my fucking god," Dream swore. "You― I did this... What is wrong with me?!"

"Dream," George started, taking a step towards Dream, but Dream interrupted, his hands out in front of him as he said, "No, stay away from me. I'll hurt you... I don't want to do that."

"You're in control of your own actions, Dream," George said, torn between staying put and going to comfort Dream. "You won't hurt me."

Dream turned away, a hand curled in his hair. "You don't know that."

George quietly walked next to Dream, making sure that he knew he was there. Dream refused to meet his eyes, tears running down his cheeks. George's face fell and he gently wrapped his arms around Dream's waist.

"Get away from me," Dream muttered, his voice broken, no actual meaning or force behind it. George didn't let go though.

"It's okay, Dream," George murmured, "I'm not going anywhere."

"I'm just like him," Dream mumbled, and it took George a second to figure out who he meant. "I'm abusive... I-I hurt you and―"

"Dream, stop," George said, interrupting him. He squeezed arms around Dream gently, wishing for some response that wasn't more of Dream's self-loathing. Dream mumbled a response that George couldn't hear, but after a moment, he returned George's hug, setting his chin on George's head.

They stood like that, quiet other than the sound of Dream's sniffles. Being in Dream's arms made George unexplainably safe, he felt at home. He and Dream were perfect for each other. If only Dream would see that.

George would make sure of that.

George looked up at Dream when Dream's chin lifted. Dream was quiet, observant and unsure. His wariness made George frown. George lifted himself onto his toes and pressed a quick kiss to the corner of Dream's lips.

Dream just blinked, still keeping his hesitant look. George, determined to get Dream to crack, kissed the other corner of Dream's lips.

There... just barely, was the subtle movement in Dream's eyebrow. It was like he wanted to react, but held himself back. He was being stubborn. George rolled his eyes fondly and brushed his lips over Dream's jaw, leaving a trail of kisses down Dream's neck.

When Dream didn't move, George grumbled, tucking his head in the crook of Dream's neck as he muttered, "Are you not attracted to me anymore?"

It was a joke― a shot in the dark― and it landed.