24

"What exactly happened?"

Dream tensed beside George and George interlaced their fingers. The owner of the question, Wilbur, was sitting across from them, waiting for a response.

The rest of the team was there, well, everybody but Techno, who was questioning Quackity. Tommy and Tubbo sat together with Bad on a couch to George's right. On his and Dream's left, was Sapnap and Karl.

Soft palms were clasped together and George tried to be as gentle as possible, brushing his thumb over Dream's knuckles. Dream took a deep breath, looking everywhere but Wilbur, and said, "I— Schlatt, he, uh..." Dream winced and shook his head. "He's a bad guy."

Wilbur nodded and George looked around the room, reading everyone's expressions. Tubbo was confused and Tommy was angry. Bad's expression was one of sadness and pain for his friend. Karl looked determined and Sapnap... his face was contorted in a mix between fury, pain, and confusion.

Wilbur's gaze was steady when he asked, "Do you think you can tell us what happened?"

Dream swallowed, his eyes on the floor as his leg bounced up and down. He stammered, "I-I don't think so. Not yet, at least."

Wilbur nodded and the door to the room opened. Dream flinched at the sound, but relaxed when he saw Techno and Quackity walk in.

Technoblade said, "I just finished questioning him. He's on our side."

Techno and Quackity sat down and Wilbur said, "Quackity, welcome to the team. Can you tell everyone why you joined our side?"

"Schlatt is an asshole," Quackity said, his face cold, "he doesn't deserve the crown. We need to stop him before he hurts anyone else."

Quackity looked at Dream, but Dream was too busy looking at the floor, his face pale. Quackity added, "I think George should be king."

George's head snapped up and he shook his head. "No, I don't want to be king."

"But you're the Prince."

"I don't care," George replied. I just want to be with Dream.

"I can be king!" Tommy chimed in, "and Tubbo can be my advisor."

"No way," Karl said, "the castle would burn down before day one. Besides you two are too young."

Tommy crossed his arms. Wilbur said, "We'll deal with that later, for now we need to focus on putting Schlatt out of power."

"Where do we even start?" Bad asked. "The castle is huge and filled with guards."

"Guards that aren't loyal," George said, "we can get them on our side. None of them agree with Schlatt's ways. I can get Punz on our side."

"Punz?" Quackity asked. "That guy was your guard for years. No way he'll betray Schlatt."

"He will," George said firmly.

Quackity didn't look convinced. Wilbur said, "Alright then, we'll start there. Techno, Quackity, and George will go to the castle to talk to Punz. From there we can try to get to all the guards."

"No, I'm staying," George said, feeling the way Dream's grip tightened when Wilbur mentioned him leaving. "Someone can go in my place."

"You're the only one who can convince him," Wilbur said, "you know him the best."

"Quackity knows him well enough. Bad can go in my place."

Wilbur studied him for a moment, glancing between him and Dream, his eyes falling on their hands. "Okay, but if they can't convince him, George, you're going on the next trip, got it?"